- The Amalgam Universe Legion of Galactic Guardians features a character amalgamated from Paste-Pot Pete and Matter-Eater Lad. His powers, fortunately, remain a mystery.
- One of Grace's students in Bruce Almighty is constantly eating arts and crafts supplies. She comments that she expects him to poop an ornament any time now.
- Billy Madison sits next to a boy eating the glue in his first-grade class.
- One of Hilaire Belloc's Cautionary Verses is titled "Henry King, who Chewed Bits of String, and was Early Cut Off in Dreadful Agonies".
- Tardy the Turtle from Greg the Bunny has eaten everything from crayons, to drumsticks (the musical kind) to paintballs.
Tardy: "The green ones make me horny!"
- A Law & Order: Special Victims Unit episode had a man with pica (see the Real Life section below) as the perp. It was noted that pica on its own does not make someone dangerous, but because the Psychopathic Manchild in question had been licking the (illegally lead-based) paint off his toy cars from a young age, he had permanent brain damage.
- In Drake & Josh, Josh gets a job teaching Megan's 5th grade class and starts giving them college-level homework, claiming that they are smarter than given credit for. To which one of the students points out that another is eating glue.
- In Backyard Football, Dmitri Petrovich admits that he is a paste-eater which explains his nickname of "Paste".
- Strong Sad from Homestar Runner used to eat colored chalk as a child. "I was sick for a year and almost diiied."
- The Ditz Monette in Something*Positive comments, "Putting salted peanuts in Coke is a step up from eating crayons and even I stopped doing that a few years ago." (She's in her early twenties when she says this.)
- Cat from the webcomic Cat and Girl is known to eat paint.
- In Sluggy Freelance, Zoe does it here. "Pashe ish yummy!"
- In Homestuck, the Wayward Vagabond compulsively eats any green things he can find. Examples include two pieces of green chalk, a chunk of radioactive material, and the Uberbunny's eye.
- Terezi doesn't necessarily EAT chalk, but she licks them until they are no longer.
- Invoked in The Order of the Stick. Belkar threatens Myzaki's horse with being turned into paste, "The kind the weird kid in the back eats."
- During the Portal 2 video of Two Best Friends Play, Pat accuses Matt of doing this. Matt's only response is that it's "getting a little personal". In the animated version where they're replaced with Celestia and Luna, it cuts to Luna who is indeed in the middle of eating those when she says that line.
- Vinny, while corrupting Super Mario 64, stated that he had a friend in school who liked to eat glue.
- Ralph Wiggum on The Simpsons is known for eating glue, crayons and worms, among other things. One episode also explains the cause of Homer Simpson's dim wit — he inhaled crayons up his nose as a child. In the episode, the crayon stuck in his brain since his childhood is surgically removed, and he becomes very intelligent. However, Homer feels that things just aren't the same, and inhales another crayon to get back to his normal, dumb but likeable self.
Skinner: Listen up, everyone. I want to tell you the sad story of the cousin of a student who a friend of mine taught at a neighboring school in the state just to the east of the state that Springfield is in. He knew a fellow student who ate too much paste just before he was about to give a tuba recital during homecoming. the sound that emitted from the tuba when he pulled his lips free was so intense that it knocked over a ladder, causing a man to fall and grab onto a power line, which produced flying sparks. A passing diesel drove through the sparks and smashed into an oil refinery. A sleeping hobo was awakened by the noise. He was so annoyed at the disruption that he set a fire that burned down the entire town! The moral of this story— Don't eat paste! Besides, it's made from processed horse hooves!Homer: Mmm... Processed horse hooves.
- In one issue of the comic, Homer eats paste...at a Parent-Teacher lecture on why it's bad;
- In "Lisa's Date With Destiny" Lisa tells Bart that Milhouse eats toast with Vaseline on it. According to the DVD commentary: this was based on a child from Josh Weinstein's school days who everyday would get on to the bus with a piece of toast, which had Vaseline on it.
- Comes up a couple of times in The Penguins of Madagascar. In "Sting Operation", Private spits bubbles and happily declares, "I ate soap!" while under the effects of Phlebotinum-Induced Stupidity. In "All King, No Kingdom", Maurice and Mort accidentally break Julien's throne:
"I'll get the glue."
- On The Powerpuff Girls, there was a boy in the girls' class named Elmer Sglue who was teased (mainly by Buttercup) for eating paste. A fly tainted by toxic waste fell on the paste he was eating, turning him into a giant glue monster who wreaked havoc on the city.
- Cheryl Tunt from Archer chugs down jars of rubber cement.
- In Ben 10: Alien Force, it's mentioned by Gwen that Ben and JT used to eat paste together back when they were kids.
- The Loud House: in "Friend or Faux", a boy in Lisa's class can be seen eating paste. It's for this reason Lisa deems him unfit to become her friend.
- Truth in Television to people who have pica, a mental disorder where people have an appetite for things which are non-nutritive or base ingredients which it is abnormal to consume, such as crayons, chalk, dirt, ice cubes, flour, pencils or salt.
- The show called My Strange Addiction sometimes deals with people who have this. They had interviewed people who eats glass, cigarette ashes, tissues, chalk, and other things...
- In a combination of insanity and poverty, Vincent van Gogh would at times nibble on his paint and drink turpentine, which probably didn't help his health/sanity. At one point he even had a suicide attempt trying to eat lead-heavy yellow oil paint.
- The basic wheat paste used by bookbinders is harmless enough to eat, since it's essentially flour and water. Keith A. Smith, when giving the recipe in his books on binding, notes you could add an egg and some vanilla extract and make a custard.note