Characters: Bleach Zero Squad
page dedicated to characters that appeared in Tite Kubo
. This page tackles the members of the Royal Guard
, otherwise known as the Zero Squad
, a group of Captains promoted to protect the Spirit King himself.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
The Commander of the Royal Guard, known as the "Eyeball Monk." A large, bald man with bushy eyebrows and black beard. On his neck, he wears large set of red prayer beads. He's a loud and upfront man who nonetheless smiles a lot.
He gave everything in Soul Society its name, including the terms "zanpakuto", "shikai", and "bankai". He also automatically knows the true name of all zanpakuto from the moment they are forged.
- Badass Beard: He has a massive beard and is the manly man of the group design-wise.
- Bald of Awesome: The top of his head is the only place you won't be finding much hair.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: He has incredible bushy eyebrows.
- Carpet of Virility: What can we say? He just seems like a very hairy, manly guy.
- I Know Your True Name: He is the one that names everything in Soul Society, including all zanpakuto and their shikai and bankai forms.
- Large and in Charge: Pretty big guy all around, and commands the Zero Squad.
Click here to see her slim form
The "Ruler of Grain." Former captain of Squad 12, preceding Kisuke Urahara. Hiyori Sarugaki, her lieutenant at the time, regarded her as a mother figure. She's a cheery lady, but she has no qualms about striking people if they don't recognize her (like Shinji).
As the "Ruler of Grain", Hikifune's specialty is making food so souls can beef up their physical and spiritual energy. She's the one who created artificial souls via Reishi transference (hence Soul Candy and Modsouls).
- Absolute Cleavage: She gains this in her slim form, it rivals Rangiku's.
- Big Eater: Necessary for her power as she has to bulk up to recharge her Reiatsu.
- Big Fun: She's big, loud and friendly.
- Dope Slap: Her preferred method of punishing people that annoy her.
- Fanservice: While her normal form normally averts this by being a Big Fun, her slim form gives us an ample look at her Absolute Cleavage and impressive rack.
- Hair Decorations: She wears a spoon in her hair.
- Parental Substitute: According to Hiyori's acquaintances, the reason why she was so slow to accept Urahara as her new captain is because she treated Hikifune like her mother.
- Power-Up Food: The food she makes is filled with her reiatsu, recharging/empowering those who eat it.
- Supreme Chef: Both Ichigo and Renji call her food the best thing they've ever tasted.
- Temporary Bulk Change: She slims down after using all of her reiatsu while cooking.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has long purple hair.
The "Great Weave Guard". A former captain of unknown background, she's a tall, thin woman with dozens of long arms. A bit playful, she was the one who provided those weird musical instruments during Zero Squad's arrival in the Seireitei. At the same time, she's rather forceful, threatening mutilation to get what she wants. As the "Great Weave Guard", she is responsible for the Shihakushō that all soul reapers currently wear.
- Antiquated Linguistics: Uses the pronoun "warawa" to refer herself, which is both very feminine and very archaic.
- Creepily Long Arms / Creepy Long Fingers / Multi-Armed and Dangerous: She has six unnatural-looking arms which she can use for just about anything.
- Creepy Good: She's pretty intimidating, what with her long arms, calm demeanor, and willingness to castrate a man if he kept disobeying her. Even such a figure as Mayuri would prefer not to offer so much as a comeback when she criticizes him.
- Freudian Threat: Threatened this on Renji if he didn't remove his fundoshi.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a strange crown-like object on the back of her head.
- People Jars: One of her techniques is carrying people in artificially made jars for their safety.
The "Hot Spring Demon
". A condescending and abrasive man, his patronizing attitude frequently results in him being disciplined by the rest of the Royal Guard, usually through physical force, with a strike to the head. He is responsible for many healing techniques currently used, was the one who taught Unohana her healing skills and inspired Urahara's creation of the hidden Healing Spring
- Combat Medic: He's a superior medic to Unohana and more powerful than the captains.
- Delinquent Hair: Sports a ridiculously long, hooked pompadour.
- Dr. Jerk: Subverted. His assessment of Unohana's limitations are honest to the point of rudeness and he's unbelievably rough in handling patients, even ones that are on the verge of death. However, he was much friendlier and laid back with his two servants, and even fairly open about the way he used his behaviour to test his patients limits and recovery ability (he was more impressed than he had expected to be).
- Japanese Delinquents: Played with. Seems not to be one, but talks, acts and looks like one.
- Jerkass Has a Point: He was abrasive in the making of it, but he's completely correct when he points out the Gotei 13's duty is to protect Soul Society and they've failed at the duty assigned to them.
- Making a Splash: He uses the water from his Healing Spring as a weapon. It drains reiatsu and is scalding hot.
- Oral Fixation: Always has a piece of straw in his mouth.
- Super Speed: Is so fast that Soi Fon couldn't comprehend it. His speed is so great it earned him the nickname "Flash-speed Tenjirou".
- Walking Shirtless Scene: He wears a loose jacket that leaves his chest exposed most of the time.
The "God of the Sword
." A dark-skinned dude with thick, black hair that is shaven and dyed green on the sides of his head. Noted as a lively, energetic and unpredictable individual, he's nonetheless the inventor of the Asauchi, the basic Zanpakuto spirit form handed out to the Soul Society's recruits.
- Beware the Silly Ones: For all his jovial eccentricity, he traps Ichigo and Renji in a pit with wrathful Zanpakuto for three days. And then he reveals he was testing them, and kicks Ichigo out for failing.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Even amongst his colleagues, Ōetsu is pretty bizarre, largely stemming from his hamminess. Hikifune even calls him unpredictable.
- Fashion Dissonance: In a world where people dress like they're from the feudal Japanese era, Nimaiya wears a modern bubble vest over his traditional Soul Reaper attire. The combination is jarring, to say the least.
- The Glasses Come Off: He only takes his glasses off when he starts to work on a new Zanpakuto. According to him, taking the glasses off is necessary for him to see the right amount and color of flames used. Also notable in that's his serious mode.
- Large Ham: He's loud, flashy, and something of a showboat.
- Stunned Silence: Ichigo's confrontation with the Asauchi doesn't go according to Nimaiya's plan, leaving him momentarily speechless with shock at what he witnesses. After returning to take the test he previously failed, Ichigo doesn't fight at all. The Asauchi immediately kneel before him in submission.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Ichigo for being a "poser Soul Reaper", though the reason he did so was to motivate him to find out more about his roots.
- Trickster Mentor: Beneath his exterior of being ridiculously quirky, he spends the entire time testing them. Trapping Ichigo and Renji in a pit of Asauchi out of the blue was to test them as Soul Reapers. It ensured Ichigo would fail, forcing him to learn about his roots and return more able to pass the test.
- Ultimate Blacksmith: He and his Escort Squad forge the Asauchi given to Soul Reaper recruits. They will also reforge existing zanpakutou that have been broken beyond more normal means of repair. However, this tends to create a different form of the zanpakutou that it originally was. He also reveals the Asauchi are forged from the souls of Soul Reapers.
The Sword Five
A short, temperamental Zanpakuto spirit in the form of a young girl who serves one of Nimaiya's assistants. She has spiky hair, which is tied up in a ponytail at the back. She wears a vest with a large, furred collar, and a short skirt.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: All her violent episodes happen when she's wearing that miniskirt.
- Hot-Blooded: She's short-tempered and aggressive, and has no time for Nimaiya's goofy methods of introducing Soul Reapers to his palace. Even when dealing with serious people, she's impatiently no-nonsense.
- Meaningful Name: Her name translates into "Kindling Island" and she has the ability to breathe fire.
- Playing with Fire: She can breathe fire out of her mouth, which is what Nimaiya uses to reforge Zangetsu.
A Zanpakuto spirit who serves Nimaiya, Hasuka is the happiest and bustiest of the bunch, while being around as violent and tomboyish as Mera. She has no shame in referring to herself, and her comrades, as Nimaiya's "private escort" group.
- Alliterative Name: Has the same "Ha" sound in both of her names.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: She wears a belted minidress that ends at mid-thigh.
- Genki Girl: She's the most enthusiastic and energetic of the Sword Five, nearly always seen smiling happily.
- Girlish Pigtails: Hers are symbolic of the fact she's the type that's an older woman who is fun-loving, playful and possessed of childlike innocence.
- Prehensile Hair: She has the ability to extend and freely control her hair, allowing her to grab and hold objects.
- Ms. Fanservice: A couple of scenes seem designed to put her into stances that show off her curves and cleavage. One shot of what her hair can do seems designed to focus on a cleavage shot as much as what her hair is doing.
Another Zanpakuto spirit under the service of Nimaiya, Tokie is the most negative among the Sword Five, complaining about participating in activities with crocodile tears. She wears a long dress with a halter neck and a black sash around her waist.
- Alliterative Name: Has the same "Toh" sound in both of her names.
- Detached Sleeves: Her dress is a halter neck, so the cloth around her arms when she first arrives doesn't seem attached to anything. By the time the sword forging is complete, the cloth on her arms have completely disappeared but her dress is untouched.
- Hair Decorations: She has a crescent-shaped hairpiece on either side of her head.
The shortest and youngest-looking of the Sword Five, Nonomi enjoys working, to the point where she scolds Tokie for complaining about forging Zanpakuto. She wears a vest with a collar, and a short skirt with a plumped out hemline.
- Alliterative Name: Has the same "Noh" sound in both of her names.
- Exotic Eye Designs: The sclera of her eyes are black, and her pupils are shaped almost like crosses. These are similar to the Spirit King's eyes.
- Token Mini-Moe: She's the tiniest and most youthful of the bunch.
The final member of the Sword Five, Tsumiko is the quietest and calmest of the group, having yet to say a word while mostly having a disinterested look in her eyes. She has long black hair, which covers one of her eyes. She can take out one of her teeth and turn it into a mallet usable for Zanpakuto forging.
- Alliterative Name: Has the same "Tsu" sound in both of her names.
- Bandaged Babe: All over her body, including the lower half of her face, to the point where she honestly resembles a mummy.
- The Quiet One: She has never spoken on screen yet.
- The Stoic: Her face, covered as it is, has never deviated from its blank, uninterested expression.
The Spirit King
The apparent ruler of the Soul Society, though he is based within his own dimension and the Central 46 governs in his place. He picks every individual member of the Zero Squad and bestows upon the Ōken upon them. Said Ōken is a special tool that allows one to enter the dimension of the Palace whenever they wish.