open/close all folders
East Side Wolves
You Satou (Pervert and note )
- Accidental Pervert: Not that he doesn't have plenty of perverted thoughts as well - it's just that there's never any overlap between his fantasies and the numerous public situations he finds himself in.
- Bash Brothers: With Ren, which earns them the nickname Two Dogs from Orthros.
- Blood Knight: Satou doesn't want to get easy bento by joining up with the Hounds, he wants to fight hard for it or else it doesn't taste good.
- Butt Monkey: Mostly due to Ume. He gets slapped every single episode. So far, he's been stripped butt-naked four times (One by Ume, the others were accidents), and was burned naked in the incinerator when trying to save his clothes from getting thrown in. He grows out of it by the end of the show... mostly.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Think? Yes. Act? No. See the Heartwarming page for details.
- The Chew Toy: How many times was he seen naked in public?
- Chewing the Scenery: Not outwardly, but Satou's Internal Monologue tends to be rather... grandiose.
- Chick Magnet: Despite his Nom de Guerre and his behaviour, he does manage to gain the attraction of a few girls in the series (Ayame, the elder Sawagi twin, Asebi and Sen).
- Embarrassing Nickname: The Pervert, after he had to get to a supermarket in women's clothing to get there on time. It's a Long Story, except not - an overzealous security guard made him strip and sought to Ass Shove him with a D Battery for asking to go to Shaga's room, forcing Satou to flee without his clothes.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Don't let his Nom De Guerre fool you - by the end of the series, he's pretty much become the most respected wolf in the show. And that's just the Twelve-Episode Anime; he gets even more badass later on.
- Gag Penis: In episode 7 Ayame thinks he's using his as a rudder. It's actually the arm from the Half-Pricing God's costume.
- Iron Butt Monkey: He escapes being burned in an incinerator with only a couple of bruises. And again in Episode 8, where he falls off a five-story building and lives. Those bandages were even only for show (a prank that Ayame pulled on him); he's perfectly fine.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: When he learned in volume 11 that Sen was in love with Yuu but Yuu rejected her, he challenged him to a bento brawl, where he had to accept Sen's love if he lost. This counts as an example because Yō himself had feelings for Sen, and he still did all that (and beat Yuu) despite said feelings. Fortunately for him, Sen chooses him in the end, having learned from Ume what he had done for her.
- Male Gaze: Comes with being the viewpoint character.
- Naïve Newcomer: Initially. He grows out of it.
- Naked People Are Funny: By people, we mean him.
- Naked People Trapped Outside: Running Gag.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Well, would you want to fight someone named Hentai?
- Never Live It Down: Doesn't matter if you didn't have a choice; go to the supermarket wearing women's clothing just once, and you'll be forever branded as a freak or pervert. There were also other "incidents" that helped make that brand stick.
- Took a Level in Badass: He took several quickly.
Sen Yarizui (Ice Witch)
- Beautiful Dreamer: Resembles an adorable white kitten in slumber.
- Cat Girl: The way she sleeps invokes the image of an adorable sleeping-kitten.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Somewhat. She seems to have a strange thought process when it comes to food.
- The Comically Serious
- Cool Big Sis: Towards Satou and Hana she can be a very loving, kind and nurturing sister figure. She also has an actual little sister, making her an actual Cool Big Sis.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Ice Witch" comes from her trying to buy a Chu-Hi Ice (a vodka mixer) with her bento. Not that she was going to drink it.
- Emotionless Girl: Subverted — she's not emotionless, just a very laid-back Cloudcuckoolander with severely Skewed Priorities.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Is her hair supposed to be light blue or white?
- Naïve Newcomer: In the prequel.
- No Social Skills: Sen tends to be on the oblivious side. When Satou shows up after having been Dragged into Drag, her first thought is that male fashion has had some kind of paradigm shift.
- Obliviously Beautiful: Sen tends to notice Satou checking her out, then make an extremely naive conclusion."Is there something strange about my stretch routine?"
- Rei Ayanami Expy: A very serious and stoic young girl with short light bluish hair and reddish eyes. Unlike most of Rei's expies, though, she's not shy and repressed due to trauma or anything - she's just incredibly chill about anything other than bargain lunches.
- Action Survivor: Oshiroi always sneaks in and grabs her preferred bento.
- Childhood Friends: Has been friends with Ume since elementary school.
- Covert Pervert: Starts out as this, then ends up throwing the "covert" part out of the window. To wit:
- When Satou asks her if she wants to join the Dogs, she thinks he wants to know if she wants to get gangbanged. She doesn't reject the idea outright, just says she'd prefer her first time to be one-on-one.
- She's currently writing a yaoi novel involving Satou. Episode 9 says it has ten-thousand readers for the week she's on.
- And when Satou turns up to a supermarket in women's clothing, she practically starts drooling.
- Nosebleed: With a certain fansubber making the perfect lines.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Whenever she gets into writing for her novel, which pretty much consists of "Saito" being raped.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Episode 3, but it quickly fails.You: What are you doing?
Hana: Nothing. Just making a text.
You: Liar. Why are you pointing the lens my way?
Hana: I'll only take five or so!
You: Five what!? That's not the issue here!
Hana: But only your crotch!
You: What the hell!?
- Terrified of Germs: She seems to be this for other people - she doesn't want to use chopsticks to eat a bit from a meal that someone else is going to use more thoroughly right after, and she's constantly cleaning off Satou's hands whenever he happens to touch her.
- Too Kinky to Torture: In episode 2, although it was really just a back massage.
- Yaoi Fangirl: So, so much.
Yuu Kaneshiro (Wizard)
Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano (Japanese), Marcus D. Stimac (English)A third-year veteran bento brawler and Sen's mentor.
- Coat Cape: Sometimes
- Goomba Stomp: Favorite method of attack.
- Passing the Torch: Was the former President of the Half-price Bento Club when Sen came to school.]]
Voiced by: Ryoukichi Takahashi (Japanese), Tyson Rinehart (English)One of those three bento brawlers who keep appearing to fight for the half-priced food.
- Bald of Awesome: He has no hair on his head.
Voiced by: Tomoyuki Higuchi (Japanese), Scott Freeman (English)One of those three bento brawlers who keep appearing to fight for the half-priced food.
- Badass Beard: Befitting his nickname, he has a beard and can kick major ass.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: He is only referred to as Goatee.
Voiced by: Eriko Nakamura (Japanese)One of those three bento brawlers who keep appearing to fight for the half-priced food. Her face is never seen because of Satou's constant Male Gaze.
West Side Wolves
Ayame Shaga (Beauty by the Lake)
- But Not Too Foreign: She's half-Italian.
- Cool Big Sis: Towards Satou.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Hers comes from an incident where she felt asleep in Lake Park after eating her first Honor seal bento.
- Expy: She's practically a bespectacled Miki Hoshii.
- Gainaxing: It's surprising that she dosen't suffer from constant back-pain.
- Hello, Nurse!: Enough of one that she manages to distract guards at her school while they're chasing Satou apparently out for his blood judging by the ballistic vests and assault rifles they were using, just by popping in.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: Very fond of this tactic.
- The Glasses Come Off: When she gets serious.
Ren Nikaido Two Dogs (w/ Satou)The Dragon to the Monarch and leader of his pack of goons, the Gabriel Ratchets. Has a thing for Matsuba.
- Bash Brothers: With Satou, which earns them the Nom De Gurre "Two Dogs".
- The Dragon: Starts off as this to The Monarch.
- Heel–Face Turn: After the fall of The Monarch.
- Likes Older Women: Has a thing for Matsuba
- Tsurime Eyes: Out of the cast's eyes, his are the most dramatically triangular by far.
Kyo & Kyo Sawagi (Orthros)
Voiced by: Yukari Tamura (long hair) and Yui Horie (short hair) (Japanese), Kara Edwards (long hair) and Anastasia Munoz (short hair) (English)A pair of twin sisters with identical-sounding names and one nom de guerre between them, who are the respective Student Council President and Vice President of Ayame's school.The elder, long-haired one fell in love with Sen because she defeated Monarch.
- Alternate Character Reading: Their names sound alike but are written differently.
- Blood Knight: It's the reason that their treatment by the Club of Heracles, i.e. simply letting them walk up and take the bento without fighting for it, was as traumatic as it was for them.
- Break the Cutie: Courtesy of the Club of Heracles.
- Casting a Shadow: Although they're unquestionably mundane, the anime plays their shopping basket techniques this way.
- Catch Phrase: The long-haired twin tends to say "indeed, like..."
- Cute and Psycho: The long-haired Kyo begins spouting rather mean-spirited banter whenever she 'gets serious', only to regret it later on and want to apologize. Both sisters become the Tranquil Fury version of this when fighting as Orthros.
- Expy: Played with - they bear a striking resemblance to Black Lagoon's Hansel and Gretel, another adorable pair of Albino Creepy Twins infamous for their love of battle who can only be differentiated by their hair-length. However, they're not half as Axe Crazy.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The long-haired elder is the foolish one, while the short-haired younger is the responsible one.
- Goal in Life: They've wanted to be wolves since they were very, very little. Which is why the Club of Heracles's refusal to let them fight utterly broke them.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Their hairstyles are the only way to tell them apart.
- In Love with Your Carnage: A mild version; the long-haired twin has a crush on Sen for her fighting ability.
- Knight of Cerebus: Subverted.
- Malaproper: The elder constantly butchers common idioms, much to the younger's chagrin.
- Meaningful Name: The younger sister's "Kyo" means "mirror". Their nom de guerre is Orthros, a two-headed dog in Greek mythology that was defeated by Heracles.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Meanwhile, as she points out herself, the elder sister's "Kyo" is also used in the word for "heart attack".
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: They're introduced as quirky characters who seem to know a bit about the brawls but are too silly to be credible participants. They then proceed to curb stomp almost every single named wolf in the show during the course of one fight note .
- Creepy Twins: Usually they're just quirky, but then they show up to the fight and decide to speak in unison...
- Single-Minded Twins: When fighting as Orthros.
- Student Council President: The long haired one is the President white the short-haired one is the vice president.
- Twincest: Generally one-sided from the long-haired twin, though.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: Apparently the elder Kyo's fantasy. It's unlikely to come true, since the twins eventually develop feelings for different guys; the elder for Yo and the younger for Ren.
- Weapon of Choice: Shopping Baskets.
Asebi Inoue (Reaper)
- Animal Motifs: Between her black hair and incredibly contagious bad luck, it's no wonder she likes cats.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: She makes a bento for Satou to eat. He finds it doesn't taste bad... but the individual pieces taste like absolutely not what they have any right to (like a piece of broccoli tasting incredibly sweet) and scares the hell out of him.
- Ill Girl: She's apparently always sick.
- Iron Buttmonkey: Falls down multiple flights of stairs and emerges unharmed.
- The Jinx
- Ayame carries a Protective Charm to...well, protect herself. Ayame initially warns Satou to avoid Asebi's touch, and when Satou asks why she let Asebi touch her Ayame pulls out the charm and it darkens when she puts her hand near it.
- In episode 11, her playing in a garden and catching a butterfly is quickly accompanied by over 10 caterpillars going down their strands and falling to the ground dead.
- The Pollyanna: Her first thought after her bed shatters, she almost loses a stuffed cat note , and she falls out the window through several branches?Asebi: Ah, it's another beautiful day!
- Red Baron/Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Earns the title "Reaper" when she is recognized as a shadowy force of destruction and chaos without actually participating in the battle.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She has thigh-high stockings.
Tadaaki Endo (Monarch)
Voiced by: Hiroki Yasumoto (Japanese), Chris Rager (English)A large man who is obsessed with becoming the strongest brawler by inheriting the Monarch Butterfly's position, forcefully or otherwise, and defeating the Wizard's successor.
- Badass Baritone: He has a powerful and deep voice.
- Improbable Weapon User: Is seen swinging a shopping cart around like a club. One handed, to boot.
- The Worf Effect: As of Episode 10, he's on the wrong end of this courtesy of Orthros.
Class Representative of Satou's class and Oshiroi's childhood friend who's a bit too possessive of her. Fond of abusing Satou in retaliation for any perceived slight against Oshiroi, no matter how small.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Which easily sends Satou flying. Usually. When he blocks and No Sells it for the first time, she's visibly shocked.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: She is the Student Council President and can kick some major ass.
- Bastard Girlfriend:
- In-Universe, one of Satou's classmates thinks she's this... as long as Satou's the one getting abused.
- Despite it not being true, at the end of the episode, Satou ruminates "There really... might be some appeal to this.".
- Catch Phrase: "May I <insert threat>?" (One should note that she only says this right after actually beginning to act on the threat.)
- Character Development: In volume 10, after she gets soundly defeated in a bento brawl while trying to protect Hana, she realises her powerlessness, and entrusts the protection of Hana during bento brawls to Satou, the guy she abuses on a regular basis. She still smacks him around, but for more legit reasons now.
- Class Representative: Before becoming the Student Council President later.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She hates it when people get close to Oshiroi.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Largely averted.
- Hime Cut: As an Ojou and Class Representative.
- Jerkass: Towards Satou. All the time. Well, almost.
- Karma Houdini: Despite abusing Satou, the fact that she is Student Council President means that she gets off scot-free. Karma does eventually catch up to her by the time volume 10 rolls around.
- Leitmotif: Via Jungle Drums
- Ms. Fanservice: There's quite a few shots of her naked sprinkled throughout the show.
- Ojou: Comes from a wealthy family.
- Pet the Dog: Ume backs off the obsessiveness and acknowledges Hana and Yo joining the Half-price bento club.
- Psycho Lesbian: Dear lord...
- Selective Obliviousness: Despite knowing Hana for so long, she seems to have no idea and can't believe it to be true when she hears her particular "tastes".
- Stalker with a Crush: Is very obsessed with Hana and can go as far as to knock her unconscious and abduct her to keep her away from other people.
- Took a Level in Kindness: It shows a bit after the events in volume 10, and more prominently in volume 11.
- Tranquil Fury: Every time she appears.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: In episode 9.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A
Kiku Matsuba (Monarch Butterfly)
- Gag Boobs: Her recipe the Omelettits. However they changed the name into that without her asking her though
- The Chessmaster: Despite her policy of not getting involved in the bento battles, she does a lot to actually set them up, Including inviting all of the Wolves to the same waterpark for a bento battle in a pool
- Eyes Always Shut: Most of the time.
- Retired Badass: She retired from being a wolf once she got married.
Club of HeraclesRather than beating the twins in a fight, he reasoned that they were so strong that they were disrupting the balance of the brawls. His solution to this was to simply let them walk up and take the bento they wanted, and then begin fighting after they left.
- The Coats Are Off: He does so after he realizes his plan won't work a second time. Complete with an "I'll Show You..." statement. Subverted as he was on the very wrong side of a Curb-Stomp Battle.
- Dirty Coward: His underhanded shaming tactics against Orthros and his swift defeat at the hands of Satou and friends make it clear that, for all his talk of maintaining the purity of the fights, he's little more than a bully who can't handle a little healthy competition.
- Faux Affably Evil: Each time he sees Orthros, he greets them warmly with a smile on his face before immediately switching to threats of violence.
- Hero Killer: Subverted. He took down Orthros by refusing to fight them, rather than by defeating them, and can't really hold his own in the brawls.
- Tall Poppy Syndrome: He uses a variation on the old "nail that sticks out" line regarding Orthros: "If a nail sticks out too far to be hammered down, you have to rip it out!" Satou retorts that what you should really do is get a bigger hammer, or, in other words, become stronger.
- Villainous Breakdown: His smug attitude dissolves once Satou inspires the wolves to defy his plan.
Mikoto Uzu (Wolfsbane)Another member of the Half Price club. Only appears in the prequel manga.
- Meganekko: She wears glasses.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her hair covers part of her eyes.