- Alternate Character Interpretation:
- The biggest one is whether or not Alfred loved Susannah. Or did he just see her as a trophy wife?
- Alfred's claims of having "followed all the rules" and status as the good son, despite his association with the O'Bannions. The first time he met them, it was clear they had some sort of "arrangement" with the Sheriff and they weren't exactly secretive about their involvement in bootlegging.
- Does Susannah really love Tristan himself? Or is she only attracted to the wild and passionate nature of their relationship?
- Harsher in Hindsight: When Susannah meets Isabel II, she cheerfully says "we'll be sisters" - since she intends to marry Samuel. They do end up as sisters in law - when Susannah is married to Alfred and unhappy, while Isabel II is married to Tristan - the one Susannah really loves.
- He Really Can Act: A lot of critics noted that this was the role that cemented Brad Pitt's leading man status.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- Julia Ormond playing Brad Pitt's lover is very amusing if you've seen her in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button where she plays his daughter.
- This film wasn't the last time Brad Pitt would have a Native American background and scalp Germans in a world war.
- Jerkass Woobie: Poor Alfred, who is eternally The Un-Favourite. Not to mention the poor guy also has to lose his baby brother, and eventually his wife - all while being looked down on by his family.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: Isabel II barely has any lines once she grows up. Her sole purpose is to provide Tristan with children and die horribly so he can swear vengeance.
- Unintentionally Sympathetic: Susannah's ultimate fate is meant to be Laser-Guided Karma. But a combination of Tristan being a massive Designated Hero and Julia Ormond making her quite The Woobie leaves people sympathising with her more than the film intends them to.
- The Woobie: Susannah loses everyone she cares about and ends up in an unhappy marriage. Take note of how happy she is when she first arrives on the ranch. Then remember that she kills herself when she has no reason to live.
YMMV / Legends of the Fall