- Awesome Music: Its soundtrack won a Grammy, and was the breakthrough for the then otherwise obscure indie band The Shins.
- Follow the Leader: It spawned a lot of terrible imitators (ex: Elizabethtown), so now when you describe it, it sounds awful. One of the reasons for its severe case of "Seinfeld" Is Unfunny.
- Fridge Brilliance: Sam's house is a bit of a mess, but you still wonder why there are spots all over the TV, until you realize that Tetembe was dusting for fingerprints moments earlier.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Jim Parsons plays a young lover of Mark's mother, who shows off by speaking Klingon, a full two years before his casting as Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory.
- It's Popular, Now It Sucks!: How many people nowadays will admit they loved this movie when it first came out? Not many. But they did.
- Memetic Mutation: The "New Slang" scene gained a bit of a following with people swapping out Sam's "life-changing" song for something more absurd.
- "Seinfeld" Is Unfunny: See Follow the Leader
YMMV / Garden State