After getting a few jump scares from his opponent, Wile E. Coyote comes up with a few schemes that end up backfiring on him, from following instructions in The Art of Roadrunner-Trapping to using a harpoon. By the end, after Wile E. goes through a lot from the last gag, he's in tears, which makes the Roadrunner decide not to give him another jump scare.
- All for Nothing: Wile E. has set up a chute for a Cartoon Bomb to slide down towards the Road Runner... only for it to explode instantly the moment the match touches the fuse.
- Ash Face: As pictured above, Wile E. gets a bomb exploding in his face (no less, the instant he lights the fuse).
- Binomium ridiculus: Famishus vulgaris for Wile E. Coyote and Birdibus zippibus for the Road Runner.
- Everyone Has Standards: Even the Road Runner feels sorry for Wile E. after his harpoon misadventure and refrains from giving him another jump scare.
- Hammered into the Ground: Inverted (and the page image for that trope). The Road Runner gives Wile E. a Jump Scare that causes him to ram his head right through a rock ledge.
- Impact Silhouette: As Wile E. is being dragged by the harpoon, he hits a truck head on, leaving a coyote-shaped hole on the back.
- Jump Scare: The Road Runner scares Wile E. by beeping at him from behind, causing him to jump through an overhead cliff. Defied at the very end, when the Road Runner decides not to scare Wile E. one last time out of the goodness of his heart.
- Mind Screw: Wile E has set up a brick wall to stop the Road Runner. He hears the bird approaching, then stop behind the wall. He looks behind the wall, and sees... himself from behind, looking at the other side in the far end. He is confounded, as his other self does everything he does. Eventually he figures it's another coyote and to prove it, sets the other coyote's tail on fire with a lit stick of dynamite. Laughing at the imposter's misfortune, he steps out from behind the wall... with his tail on fire from the shot!
- Rump Roast: The Coyote hasn't yet realized that it was his own tail that got blasted in that Mind Screw!
- This was also affected by the Bowdlerization on ABC; the scene faded to black at the instant of the Coyote's evil grin, before going ahead with the TNT.
- Scary Stinging Swarm: Wile E. sets up a bottle of ACME bees to open when the Road Runner runs by. But as soon as he pulls the cork from a distance, the bees head straight for him.
- Talking with Signs: The Road Runner looks like he's about to scare Wile E., but then he pulls out a sign that reads "I just don't have the heart." As he zips away, the sign turns around to reveal "Bye!" on the other side.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: By the end, upon seeing him exhausted after all he went through with that harpoon rope, the Road Runner doesn't find it in his heart to scare the Coyote off the cliff when he had the chance.
- What a Drag: For the final gag, Wile E. fires a harpoon, but the rope gets caught on his ankle and is dragged through the desert floor, through a pipe, crashing into a truck and a train, and eventually landing on top of a cliff.