Not to be confused with the trope.
Turtle Island is a Canadian-German animated series, originally airing in 1995 on Canal Famille (now Vrak) in Québec and Super RTL in Germany.
Set in the South Seas, Turtle Island is home to King Tiki, the last survivor of the royal dynasty of the Tiki Flying Sea Turtles. Over the centuries, these turtles have collected the most fabulous treasures, which the pirates are after. Captain Minus and his crew vainly try to take over the island. In addition to the regular pirates, Turtle Island is visited by a variety of off-beat buccaneers. Headed by King Tiki, his spirited friends will do everything in their powers to protect their beloved island.
Turtle Island provides examples of:
- Affably Evil: Splash the shark. While being a member of the pirate crew, he sometimes gets along with the island's inhabitants.
- Idiosyncratic Wipes: Used in one episode.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Although Zero normally wears an eyepatch, he can see fine without it, as hinted at in a few episodes.
- Karma Houdini Warranty: Being a shark, Splash easily avoids getting stuck on the sinking ship, but even he can't escape Ingrid's beatings, sometimes.
- Medium Awareness: Kind of; the pirates are all too aware of their ship getting inevitably scuttled at the end of every story, and desperately try to avoid this.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Ingrid the octopus, though she is firmly on the side of the good guys.
- Oddly Small Crew: The pirate crew consists of the usual three. It used to be four with Cradoc, until Minus got greedy.
- Off Screen Villain Dark Matter: After being sunken each time, the pirates' ship is always fine by the next episode. Even when it got turned into solid gold.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Although with Ingrid around, it's not like they can get to do anything.
- Running Gag: The pirates' ship usually gets sunk at the end of every episode.
- The Smurfette Principle: Ingrid is the only female character in the main cast. Her being the island's main enforcer does more than make up for it, though.
- Terrible Trio: The pirate trio: Captain Minus, Zero and Splash.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Ingrid may be a rough-and-tumble gal, she does clean up nicely for parties.
- Undefeatable Little Village: Between an inventor platypus and a brawler octopus, the pirates won't be taking over the island any time soon, if ever.
- You Dirty Rat!: Minus, natch.