A 1983 Ruby-Spears cartoon based on the 1979 ABC Weekend special The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy, which in turn was based on the children's book of the same name by Jane Thayer (who used to write under the pen name Catherine Woolley). The main character is Petey, who finds a young orphan boy named Tommy and befriends him. It comes after The Puppy's Great Adventure.
The plot of The Puppy's Further Adventures takes Petey and his friends, Dolly, with stow-away strays Dash, Duke, and Lucky, all over the world after Petey and Dolly fall overboard from a ship, which Petey and Dolly's family is travelling on in order to move overseas. They find themselves in places like Hawaii, East Berlin, Africa, Hong Kong, and Australia.
The only known online clip of the TV show can be found here (starts at 8:59)
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: Particularly in the East Berlin episode.Duke: We're going jackhammer hunting.
- Animal Talk: The animals in the series can understand human speech, but not the other way around.
- Animated Adaptation: for The Puppy Who Wanted A Boy.
- Big Friendly Dog: Lucky the St. Bernard. Very big, very mellow tempered.
- Cats Are Mean: Subverted. In The Puppy and the Wailing Cat, a cat who doesn't like dogs turns out to be the key to finding a fortune that was left to a little girl that the dogs have befriended. The dogs rescue the cat who is at first reluctant.The cat: hisses "I hate dogs!"Big Bad's henchmen appearDuke: "We're a lot friendlier than they are."
- Episode Title Card
- Five-Man Band:
- Lovable Coward: Dash