Beanies Comics (sometimes referred to as Whats Up Beanie?) is an independent slice-of-life webcomic created by Alina "Beanie" Tysoe.
The series revolves around the daily life of Beanie, a pink haired personification of the author/artist. Most comics in this series revolve around situations that anyone can relate to, such as dealing with social anxiety, obsessing over cute pets, and sharing childhood memories. There are three different types of comics; the main Adult Beanie comics, the Baby Beanie comics, and the Teenage Beanie comics.
The series was started on May 18, 2019, and is still being made to this day. It is available to read on WEBTOON, Tapas, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr. The series appears to be quite popular within the world of webcomics, so much so to the point that Alina has put out some merchandise of the comics.
- Cuteness Proximity: Beanie goes nuts over dogs.
- Does Not Like Spam: Beanie and olives. She keeps getting told it's an acquired taste, but she imagines even when she's Grandma Bean, she'll pick them off.
- Easily Forgiven: While Beanie is sobbing and begging forgiveness from a dog for accidentally stepping on its foot, the dog had already forgotten about the foot stepping cause 'yay, cuddles!'.
- Framing Device: The'What's Up Beanie' book's initial premise is Baby Beanie traveling to the future to see how Adult Beanie is doing.Baby Beanie: I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS.
Adult Beanie: I have finally lost my mind.
- Impossible Pickle Jar: Beanie ends up taking a knife to the lid to get it open.
- Insistent Terminology: When Baby Beanie gets a beret, she insists on people calling it such rather than calling it a hat.
- It's a Costume Party, I Swear!: Beanie mistakes 'dress up party' (in which the girls wear fancy dresses) for a costume party and demands to be a pink cat. Beanie's mother makes her into the fanciest dressed pink cat one ever saw.
- Lethal Chef: Everything Teenie Beanie tries to make catches fire. Even a sandwich.Beanie's mom: HOW!
- Literal Metaphor: This comic in which a maiden described as having the 'eyes of a dove' is drawn with a dove's eyes.
- Lost Food Grievance: Beanie gets upset when she drops her ice cream. Her dad cheers her up by getting her to imagine a dog enjoying it instead.
- New Year's Resolution: Beanie likes making them even though it's unlikely she'll actually keep them. While making her 2021 resolutions, she finds the ones from past years. She promptly throws out the 2020 ones (for rather obvious reasons) and realizes she did fulfil one of her 2019 resolutions: start a comic."Heh! Would you look at that." [ticks it off her list]
- Not a Morning Person: Beanie's mother in this comic, to the point that she sends the hyperactive Beanie on a Snipe Hunt just to get some rest. Ten years later she gets her revenge by pulling the curtains open on Beanie, who's now this trope.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Beanie, to the point that she finds it weird when someone calls her her real name.
- Sadistic Choice: Beanie faces one of these when playing a video game when her choices are to tell a character "I hate you" or "I'm not your friend". She cries and laments about hurting the character while Mike looks up the answer. Beanie tells the character "I'm not your friend"...which leads to a Love Confession from the player character."This game is gonna give me a heart attack."
- Super Drowning Skills: No matter how many people tried to teach her, Beanie could never learn to swim. Even with floatation devices, she still sank.
- Super OCD: A few comics show that Beanie has a thinking for cleanliness to the point where walking in with muddy shoes is a Berserk Button for her. She'll even forget about other responsibilities to ensure things are clean.
- The Tonsillitis Episode: Of the Wisdom Teeth variant. Mike gets his wisdom teeth removed, and is so loopy from the painkillers that he says he has to change out his ice packs at 3:60 and 3:75 p.m.
- Worth It: Beanie loves cheese so much that she will eat it even when she knows she is lactose intolerant.