The Back o' Beyond is a fantasy/romance comic by Jon Walker, known online as JammyTheBirb. It began in June 2016, and centres around Nathaniel Jones and Sebastian Worthington, two unfortunate young men who find themselves press-ganged and taken hostage by a pirate crew, respectively.
The pirates are looking for a powerful spring which can grant eternal life to the holder of a certain amulet. Nate and Sebastian must keep this requirement a secret for the time being, to ensure Seb's safety.
The comic now has a trailer on youtube.
The Back o' Beyond provides Examples of:
- Art Shift: The first interlude is drawn in a sketchy, more painterly style with a limited palette. The second interlude also uses a limited palette, and pencil textures.
- Bookworm: Seb has been seen reading quite a bit.
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: Nate points out to the Captain that Sebastian has valuable information about the spring they are hunting, thus convincing him to spare his life.
- Constructed World: Fashion and environment call early 18th century Europe to mind, but the author has decided to place the story in a world of its own to have more freedom in writing, especially with the fantasy aspects.
- Dem Bones: One of the pirates, Baines, is a lich.
- Disappeared Dad: Nate's father, Davy, drowned before the comic begins, contributing to Nate's fear of the ocean.
- Dressed to Plunder: The pirates all have some elements of this. Sebastian, initially dressed very proper, has to adapt after becoming a part of the crew.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: Sairith is one for England or Britain in general.
- Funny Foreigner: Sawbones has a somewhat goofy demeanour, and once referred to Baines as 'dearly department'.
- Hereditary Curse: Nate is assumed to have this; because his grandfather and father both have died on the sea, each being on board of a ship that sank, no fisher wants to give Nate work aboard their ships.
- My Beloved Smother: Nate's mam Annie shows some signs of this, though she also gets him a job so he can learn to stand on his own feet.
- Odd Friendship: It's not revealed yet how Annie, a fishmonger, came to be friends with mermaid Stanza.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Sawbones is only ever referred to by his job title.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Nate likes knitting, though, as he points out, it's also a useful craft.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Nate is more rash and emotional, whilst Sebastian is The Stoic.
- Smug Snake: Blue Finlay, the resident bully.
- Over time, he also thaws a bit around Nate, surprising him with a consoling hug after they both got beaten up by the other pirates.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: One of the pirates is actually Blue Finlay's childhood friend, Twigs. Also, as turns out, Sawbones, whose actual name is Cat.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Strangely, only Nate and his mam seem to speak this way. None of the pirates have this accent.