Critiquing The Critics is a Video Review Show, hosted by Martial Horror aka That Creepy Bald guy aka Blake, that reviews...other Video Review Shows. He looks at other reviewer and judges them budged on Information, Critiquing, Humor and technicals. He also judges them based on not only his feelings, but also what others will think.
He started out shaky, but has gone on to acquire a decent fanbase even if he doesn't know that. His videos are shock full of Self-Deprecation to the point where even that has been lampshaded many times. Like all Review Reviewers, his style is very polarizing but he seems to be respected a bit more for how smart he can be with his critiques, along with simply lasting longer than most of his competition.
He also has other series such as "Guidelines to Not sucking at video reviewing" and "Kickass of Awesome". He can be found on Youtube or his own website, the latter of which features text movie reviews (which are distinct from his video movie reviews).
Provides Examples Of
- Ambiguously Gay: Not Blake himself, but the Creepy Bald guy. Let's just say there's a reason he's the called the creepy bald guy....
- Author Appeal: Somewhat lampshaded in the SF Debris review, where he keeps forcing references to Dead Sushi which he ironically loves.
- Martial Arts and Horror films, as his screen name implies. Though, the name is actually a reference to a very specific and somewhat rare subgenre of martial arts films that happen to also be horror; think Big Trouble in Little China and you are in the ballpark, though most of the films he has in mind are of Asian origin; in practice, when reviewing films he usually just sticks to action and horror movies of all stripes.
- Bait-and-Switch: Lampshaded in the SF Debris video, when he is about to say what Chuck reviews, and actually avoids the obvious Bait-and-Switch joke where he gets the subject wrong.
- Martial Horror: I thought I was gonna make a dumb joke...]
- Berserk Button: He hates it when a reviewer gives a passable rating to something even though they spend most of their review whining about the subject.
- Caustic Critic: Not only is it averted, but he is personally tired of this trend but is still able to enjoy it when it's done well.
- Don't Explain the Joke:
- Martial Horror: His comedy isn't my cup of tea. But then again I don't like tea, and if Tea is standing in for comedy, that implies I don't like comedy....which I do. So I...guess I like tea?
- Foreshadowing: Subverted in one video where he hints at who is next subject is....but then he accidentally flat out says it before saying he hopes he didn't accidentally say it.
- Heh Heh, You Said "X": It doesn't require hardcore analazation.heh, I said anal
- Hypocritical Humor: He says anyone who actually remembers the numbers in REDGUY2764's name has Herpes. Then he goes on to say his fully name from memory.
- Martial Horror: Dammit, now I have herpes.
- Leave the Camera Running: Spoofed in the Schmoes Know review where he randomly cuts to him looking for script and complaining about his noisy internet connection.
- Literal-Minded:When he's on the money...wait, he's on money?
- Momma's Boy: Most of his videos were made in his mothers' house and on her computer; his Schedule Slip started when she moved too far away for him to keep doing this and he had trouble making and uploading videos on his own computer without disrupting his flatmates or being disrupted by them.
- Shout-Out: He breaks down the elements with the reviewer Triforce
- That Came Out Wrong: Inspired by a joke in Kickassia, refers to Phelous as Phallus....until he starts describing his first Phallus experience.
- Self-Deprecation: Tons of it. He may very well hate his videos more than his actual haters.
- Your Mom: At the end of one video, the Disclaimer says All Clips belong to Your mom