Corpse Party Abridged is a gag series created by Youtuber Manic Wednesday that gleefully lampoons the Tortured Souls OAV series itself a retelling of the events of the original game. It has been completed including an additional episode based on the "Extra Footage" prequel OAV and the first episode can be found here.
A group of high school classmates (plus their teacher and one student's kid sister) perform a ritual that results in them being trapped in a cursed school where a gang of ghosts are trying to kill them.
Please be aware that this page is a work in progress.
This Abridged Series contains examples of:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Just like in the original game and its Animated Adaptation. However, everyone is much more blatant about their crushes here.
- In the "Missing Episode", Yoshiki flat-out refers to Ayumi as his unrequited love.
- Character Filibuster: When Yuki Kanno gets her tongue back, she immediately begins recounting her final day and does not stop for close to a minute. Ayumi and Yoshiki are not even remotely interested and snark at her throughout her monologue.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Most of the cast except for Yui-sensei.
- Eagleland: Satoshi is very proud to be American even though he's Japanese.
- Face Death with Dignity: Yoshiki shortly before he's killed by Yanagihori. He even lampshades it."Just get out of here! Any minute now that guy is gonna come out and kick my ass! So leave while I still look cool, okay?"
- Gratuitous Japanese: Yuka constantly refers to her big brother as "onii-chan". He does not appreciate it.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Naomi's reaction upon meeting Yuka
"Aww, she's so cute! Can we eat her?"
- Just a Stupid Accent: Naho speaks with a thick Jamaican accent and acts middle-aged despite being neither. It's later confirmed that she in fact is not Jamaican at all, but Southern.
- Larynx Dissonance: Mayu. She lampshades it in the "Missing" Episode where she refers to herself as "Ol' Elmo me".
- Lemony Narrator: This series has one in its early episodes. Some of the characters can hear him, but he calls them crazy when they point it out. Later on, he lampshades his own role when he calls Morishige to tell him that a plot twist is coming the pile of gore Morishige's been obsessing over turns out to be Mayu.
- Lost Episode: The final (produced) episode is called this, but it's actually just an abridging of "Extra Footage", an 11-minute OVA that came out a year before the Tortured Soul series proper.
- Love Dodecahedron: As in the original game Yoshiki is in love with Ayumi, who is in love with Satoshi, who is in love with himself while Yuka and occasionally Naomi also crush on him. Mayu has a thing for Morishige, who is in love with seeing Mayu miserable.
- Nightmare Fetishist:
- Morishige, just like in the original game/anime, but more so here since one of his kinks involves making cute girls unhappy. Namely Mayu.
- Satoshi, who gets a disturbing amount of glee from watching Heavenly Host's principal jumping off the school's roof multiple times in a row.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: When Ayumi gets frustrated in Episode 4, she starts speaking in ghetto-slang.Yoshiki: "Great. Now her street side's coming out."
- Precision F-Strike: There's one right at the very end of the series, when Ayumi and Naomi realize they successfully returned home but only Satoshi's arms made it.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Seiko is one, even more blatantly than in the original game. Naomi implies she is one to get Satoshi to stop bugging her.
- Any time we flash back to the 1973 murders, the background music is Stealer's Wheel's "Stuck In The Middle With You", a direct reference to the famous torture scene in Reservoir Dogs. The prequel episode even includes the audio clip of the DJ from that movie.
- When Yuuya Kizami's name is spoken, it's accompanied by a thunderclap an horses rearing in fear in homage to Young Frankenstein.
- Stalker Shrine: Ayumi implies in the final episode she has one of these dedicated to Satoshi.
- Too Dumb to Live: Mayu is this in-universe, as Yui-sensei points out when she sees her communing with two of the malevolent spirits.
- Too Kinky to Torture:
- Yoshiki, in addition to his other bizarre kinks, is utterly lost without Ayumi's verbal abuse.
- Satoshi enjoys watching torture scenes a little bit too much, as pointed out when he grabs the cursed scissors.Naomi: "Satoshi, that's hers."
Satoshi: I wanna see the bad things again, Naomi! It gives me the hugest boner for some reason!