Lily's Day Off is a visual novel developed and produced by Kyuppin, released in January 2017. The story starts with an unnamed male protagonist crossing paths with a young girl, who he recognizes as the famous pop idol Lilypad Lily. And...that is the sole consistency across the game's multiple paths, as Lily and the viewpoint character's personalities and histories change with every decision. In one, they may be manager and client; in another, murderers; in a third, siblings. A reason for this is eventually presented, but the player will have to go through a lot of hilarity to uncover it...
In August 2018, a sequel was released, titled Lily's Night Off. While also having a wide range of story lines, it also includes pictures created by a variety of artists, and introduces Lily's coworkers: Nym the costume designer, and Vicky the choreographer.
Tropes Across The Series:
- Amnesiac Hero: Some paths in Day Off have neither Lily nor the male lead remember their own pasts at first, though the male is at least familiar with Lily's idol identity.
- Beach Episode: Night Off's Version 1.1 patch adds an Extra story line taking place on the beach, with four new endings.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The "Secret True Ending" of Night Off is followed by the Lilypad group talking to the player directly, thanking them for their time, and apologizing for the developer's twisted sense of humor.
- FaceHeel Turn: One path in Day Off has Lily originally working with the protagonist to stop an evil corporation, only to betray him and reveal her true allegiance once she gets the right information out of him.
- Flanderization: Nym goes from eating escargot in one branch of Night Off, to finding all snails absolutely adorable in the Extra story.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: In Day Off, the True End reveals that all paths are canon, as a malfunction with a time machine keeps sending them to the story's beginning, and the repeated loops have taken a heavy toll on their memories.
- Hikikomori: Night Off's Ending #7 has Lily rap about wanting to be one, followed by being publicly embarrassed after the male lead leaks the song to the press, and becoming an actual shut-in to escape media attention.
- I'm a Humanitarian: One ending of Night Off's Extra mode is the girls cannibalizing the male protagonist after a rogue tidal wave leaves them stranded on a deserted island for over a week.
- Magic Idol Singer: Night Off's Ending #2 has Lily reveal herself as one, and vaporize the male lead with the power of 10,000 suns after he tries manhandling her.
- Mood Whiplash: Night Off's Secret True End is immediately followed the return of the "Lily's Rap" BGM and the girls thanking the player for their time.
- Multiple Endings: Day Off has sixteen different outcomes, though only one is labeled as "True". Night Off has a total of eighteen, including a "True" and "Secret True".
- No Name Given: The male viewpoint characters in both games are never named, with dialogue referring to them as "You".
- Omega Ending: The "True End" of Night Off is locked until the player has gotten romantic endings with the three girls. The "Secret True Ending" requires seeing every other ending, including the regular True End.
- Piss-Take Rap: One path in Night Off has Lily revealing that her new song is one of these, about wanting to live life as a Hikikomori. It is accompanied by fitting BGM.
- Relationship Reveal: One path of Night Off appears to have Nym about to confess to the male lead, only to reveal it's part of a prank and she's already hooked up with costar Vicky.
- Serial Killer: Some paths in Day Off have the male lead kidnap Lily, bragging that he's already murdered at least twenty people like her.
- One ending of Night Off has Lily being a serial killer about to reach her 100th kill, with a return of the last game's Mr. Chainsaw.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Some paths in Day Off state that the protagonists are time travelers, either to help Lily escape the tremendous stress that came with becoming an idol girl, or to deal with the Megabro Corporation, which is plotting to nuke the planet.
- Stalker with a Crush: Both Day and Night Off have paths in which the male lead is presented as obsessed with Lily, watching her from the shadows after feeling snubbed.
- Sudden Downer Ending: Night Off's Secret True End. It's revealed that the male protagonist in both games have been the same guy, the head of the not-evil Megabro Corporation, and the games themselves are attempts to jump to different timelines and reunite with his comatose wife Lily. After his friends Nym and Vicky fail to convince him to stop, he overexerts himself with the temporal machinery, passing out from blood loss in front of Lily's life support chamber.
- Title Drop: The True End of Day Off has the male lead thinking about Lily taking a day off to just relax after all the timeline resets they just went through.
- The True End of Night Off is similar, with the male lead commenting on how Lily's going to have a wonderful night with her friends after arranging a surprise party for them.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Vicky adores potatoes, to the point that her romantic end in Night Off has her proposing to the male lead after one night spent dining on different potato dishes, with a diamond ring stuck in a potato.
- Tsundere: Night Off has Vicky use the term to describe what Lily's usually like.
- Yandere: Day Off has one path in which Lily drugs a batch of cookies for the male lead in order to kidnap and marry him, and another in which the male lead beats Lily with a baseball bat after being rebuked by her.
- Night Off has one path in which Lily murders her costars after convincing herself they're stealing her new male friend, and another in which the male lead murders the costars after the group calls him a creepy stalker.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Night Off's romantic end with Nym involves Lily and Vicky being exposed to a dangerous chemical and infesting the rest of the world with zombism.