In The Heart Pumps Clay, you play as the swamp witch, Mara, her golem, Bud, and a talking Crow, named Crow. They are trying to climb the Tree of Life to get to the Source of All Things.
This game provides examples of:
- A Dog Named "Dog": One of the three characters you play as, is a crow named Crow.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Bud, the golem, moves to take a lightning strike in place of Mara, that was sent from Crow.
- Elemental RockPaperScissors: Fire beats earth, earth beats water, water beats fire.
- Equipment-Based Progression: Character progression happens by wearing the variety of equipment found while climbing up the Tree of Life.
- Golem: Bud, the golem.
- Hit Points: It's called HP and is displayed both numerically and with a Life Meter in the combat screen◊.
- Life Meter: The green bar labeled HP below each character portrait in the combat screen◊.
- Mana: It's called MP and is displayed both numerically and with a Mana Meter in the combat screen◊.
- Mana Meter: The blue bar labeled MP below each character portrait in the combat screen◊.
- Plant Person: Implied. The Dryad◊, which are mythological Greek tree spirits, and she has a leaf for hair.
- Talking Animal: Crow, a talking crow.
- Video Game Stealing: Crow. He can steal things like a Marrionette's strings, which kill them instantly. Or potions, which can be used.