Swamp Sim is a fan-made Shrek horror game made in the style of Slender. You play as an unnamed character who is going through the titular ogre's swamp, collecting onions while trying to avoid capture by Shrek himself.
The game is essentially a Slender game with a Shrek skin, one that takes the "Shrek is Love, Shrek is Life" meme and plays it up for sheer terror... and manages to be just as scary as the original Slender, possibly more so in some areas, with a touch of hilarity.
Hi everybody, and welcome the Shrek and the Trope Karaoke Dance Party!
- Adaptational Villainy: This game is set in an Alternate Continuity where Shrek turned evil, killed Donkey, and started subjecting people to his "Punishment Barrel". If he catches you, he will kill you.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Even if you collect all eight onions, Shrek still kills you.
- Big Bad: Shrek.
- Black Screen of Death: Red, actually, but the concept is the same.
- Dance Party Ending: Your "reward" for beating the game is Shrek on the title screen, dancing to "Riding" by Silent Partner.
- Discretion Shot: If you're caught by Shrek, the screen turns red and you can hear a sickening crunching, accompanied by a shout of pain (which is simply Donkey's screams ripped straight from the movie) and followed by Shrek saying "Hey now, you're a rockstar".
- Downer Ending: Even if you collect all the onions, Shrek still kills you. At least you're treated to a dancing Shrek on the title screen afterwards...
- Evil Sounds Deep: Upon picking up an onion, you'll hear quotes ripped from the movie that have been distorted to sound deeper.
- Featureless Protagonist: The most you get is the sound your character makes upon dying, which, being simply Donkey's scream, implies that you're playing as Donkey (although this is contradicted by the presence of Donkey's corpse in Shrek's house).
- House Fire: The state of Shrek's house. Inside, you'll find an onion, as well as the burning corpse of Donkey.
- Jump Scare: Initially not present, but the game was eventually updated to include one of these, which occasionally pops up when you collect an onion and is accompanied by a Sensory Abuse-ish Scare Chord.
- Leitmotif: If Shrek is nearby, a slowed-down version of "All Star" by Smash Mouth can be heard, getting louder the closer Shrek is to you. Somehow, it manages to be both hilarious and terrifying in equal measure.
- Limited Animation: In early versions of the game, Shrek was simply a T-posed character model that slid across the ground. One of the updates eventually gave him a running animation.
- Nothing Is Scarier: The "Punishment Barrel". You don't know who is inside, nor do you know what's happening inside. Regardless, the rattling and shaking implies that whatever is happening isn't exactly a pleasant experience.
- One-Hit Point Wonder: As is typical for a Slender-type game, the instant Shrek catches you, you die.
- Super Drowning Skills: Trying to jump in the water will only result in you drowning.
- Super-Persistent Predator: Shrek, though unlike Slender Man, he actually chases after you whenever he appears, getting faster and faster the more onions you collect.
- Theme Music Power-Up: A villainous example. When Shrek starts chasing you, you'll hear a distorted version of "All-Star" by Smash Mouth.
- Hey now, you're a rockstar...