Survivor: The Living Dead is a 2010 indie Survival Horror game by Radical Endeavours. The game sees you take control of a girl named Amber who gets trapped in an abandoned house during a zombie outbreak, and must use household objects to defend herself.
Heavy influence is taken from point & click adventure games, as finding the right tools, making weapons and dispatching enemies ends up more like a puzzle game than any traditional action/shooter.
An updated and greatly expanded version of the game has been released on Steam as Early Access, and has finally seen a full release as STLD Redux: Episode 02 in May 2017.
This game provides examples of:
- Bare Your Midriff: The female zombies.
- Chainsaw Good
- Driven to Suicide: The owner of the house can be found in a locked room, with his brains blown out next to a shotgun.
- Kaizo Trap: Once you wait out the timer, it still takes a few seconds before the incoming soldiers can kill everything in the house. Don't get overconfident.
- Kill It with Fire
- Molotov Cocktail: One of the DIY weapons available in the game.
- Plunder: Guns can be obtained from certain zombies and the dead homeowner.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Most are fairly typical, although there is a rare variety that gives off clouds of poisonous gas.
- Shout-Out: The game is a self-confessed Romero homage. In particular, the opening cutscene is based directly on the first scene of Night of the Living Dead (1968).
- Timed Mission: Seven minutes. If you win, you unlock more modes.
- Unwinnable by Design: Seeing as there are a limited number of weapons and tools, you'll eventually just have no way to fight back. Even if you have ammunition, there's a chance you just won't be able to shoot fast enough to kill all of the incoming enemies.
- You Are Already Dead: Being bitten. If you conserve your energy and avoid sprinting, you can survive until rescue appears. Only to turn in the escape vehicle. Or to be cured at a nearby hospital.
- Your Head Asplode: The effect of using a shotgun on a zombie at close range. One variety of zombie also reacts this way to the fire poker.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Possibly? The military's definitely still around and are highly effective.
- Zombie Infectee: as well as a standard health meter, Amber has an infection meter which gradually raises after she has first been bitten.