Infested is an Adventure Game for computers running Windows released in 2016.
You play as an unnamed man on the 5-A ship. You wake up in the stasis pod, remembering Commander Lakmir telling you to rest and vague memories of screaming, as well as feeling sick. Once you wake up and leave the room, you realise that you were on an away mission and fell ill, plus something has likely came back to the ship from there. You must first cure the infection, then find out more about the situation and eventually leave the ship, watching out for dangerous creatures ready to kill you.
The game is first-person, with a graphics window on the top-left, the inventory on the top-right, and the text/interface at the bottom. You can MOVE from screen to screen, EXAM. things, TAKE whatever might be useful, USE items, OPEN doors, and there's a SELF option which is used if you need to wear something for instance. The game can be saved and loaded at almost any time. There's a high number of ways to die, but it's not much of a consequence (aside from a grisly death description), as you are just moved back to the previous room.
The game is based on the MacVenture series by ICOM Simulations, with an atmosphere that feels similar to Shadowgate and Uninvited. The game is also the first in a series NES MacVenture-styled games, with the second game being Spectacle and the upcoming third game being Themeire.
This game provides examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending: You escape the ship and stop the infestation, but you are the Sole Survivor and it is of course destroyed.
- Blob Monster: A multi-eyed slime creature appears early on and will eat you if you disturb it.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Dying only sends you to the previous screen.
- Delicious Distraction: To distract the slime, you have to throw a packet of blood at it. Well, the game did say it has a taste for blood.
- Heroic Mime: The player character, thanks to the lack of a talk button and no things that would want to talk to you anyway. He can mumble to himself, though.
- Kill It with Fire: You must use a flamethrower to kill off a zombie pilot.
- The Many Deaths of You: There are quite a few ways to die, either from stupidly using something on yourself or threats lurking around.
- Press X to Die: So many things can be used on self to die - Chem A/B/C, flare gun, crowbar, blowtorch...
- Retraux: This 2010s Windows game uses simple NES-like graphics and music.
- Sole Survivor: You're the only member of 5-A who survives the infestation.
- Stalked by the Bell: Near the start of the game you have a bad infection and the game tells you twice to cure it soon, otherwise you die.