Comet Busters! is a shareware Windows 3.x Asteroids clone with simultaneous multiplayer capability.
Play or download it on the Internet Archive: 1.0, 1.4.
Examples!?!? Don't tell me you haven't seen this game before...!
- Asteroids Monster: Just like Asteroids.
- Character Customization: In the "Players" menu, a set of five sliders lets you customize your ship's traits, and a radio button option lets you pick which special ability you want. In a distinct lack of Obvious Rule Patch, you can even change your ship's traits mid-game.
- Competitive Multiplayer: Ended up being the focus of the game. Tournament Mode disables normal Scoring Points and just gives 1 point to the last surviving player each round (of 7 total).
- Excited Show Title!: Comet Busters!
- "Have a Nice Day" Smile: Cronies are deadly smiley faces that live in the rocks on later levels.
- Killer Rabbit: Cronies. They're cute little yellow smiley faces that burst out of the later levels' rocks and Zerg Rush the nearest ship.
- Shareware: Mostly honorware, with a very mild case of crippleware as only registered players could use custom music.
- Space Friction: Exists, and in later versions, the Disruptor significantly increases it to act as a "space brake".