- Adaptation First: The film is actually based on Frank Miller's Xerxes, which has yet to be released.
- Awesome, Dear Boy: This film fulfilled Eva Green's long held acting dream of playing an action hero in a movie.
- B-Team Sequel: Zack Snyder didn't return to direct, as he was busy with Man of Steel.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Sullivan Stapleton revealed that this was a role which absolutely required him "to get a six pack for the first time in my life" and he reportedly adopted a diet of almost 100% yogurt for the duration of the shoot to maintain it.
- What Could Have Been:
- Gerard Butler was offered the chance to come back as Leonidas but he declined. The first scene between Themistocles and Gorgo definitely feels like it was originally written with Butler's Leonidas in mind.
- Matt Smith turned down the role of Aesyklos.
- The movie was initially going to be about the story of Xerxes and his military expeditions. The story and narrative were changed significantly and the script was revised in subsequent drafts to have include the Athenian leader Themistocles.
- Working Title: The film was previously called Xerxes, the title of the Frank Miller graphic novel on which the film is based, and later 300: The Battle of Artemisia, the title used during filming. Ultimately, the present title was used because the other two were deemed too exotic.
Trivia / 300: Rise of an Empire