- Approval of God: The developers loved how much attention the game got on Twitch, creating a voice pack of the Ancestor for Twitch streamers. They also contacted a few streamers such as BaerTaffy and LobosJr, offering to sponsor their streams on the day of the release along with giving them personalized versions of the Twitch voice pack.
- Fan Nickname:
- The Occultist's Abyssal Artillery is occasionally referred to as "Ceiling Spaghetti", due to the visual being eldritch tentacles from above (usually inside roofed caverns and ruins) slapping the enemy around.
- Ambrosius to the Ancestor, which means "immortal." He is dead by the time the adventures take place, yet he continues to narrate. To a lesser extent, "Local Man" is also thrown around, and there's also "(Crazy) Uncle Wayne", in allusion to Wayne June, his voice actor.
- No matter how many Highwaymen and Crusaders are gone through, you'll always find someone who just refers to all of them as "Dismas" and "Reynauld".
- Due to his crazed grin and Badass Preacher design, fans of Hellsing Ultimate Abridged have taken to calling the Fanatic "Alexander Anderson".
- Promoted Fanboy: BaerTaffy, one of the bigger-named streamers and Youtubers covering the game (with literally hundreds of episodes in several playlists), is the voice of the Baron and Fanatic in the Crimson Court DLC. Likewise, Youtuber and streamer Nic of Bitter Bits did the voices for the Manservant and Chevalier enemies, the Viscount boss, and the bodybags that spawn during in the Viscount fight.
- Similarly Named Works: Not to be confused with a Chick Tract about how Tabletop RPGs are evil, titled "Dark Dungeons".
- Troubled Production: Minor example. The game was supposed to come out in December 2015, but it was pushed back to January 2016 after one of the (exceedingly small) dev team had a personal tragedy and needed some time off.
- What Could Have Been:
- The Musketeer class, exclusive to Kickstarter Backers who donated $49 or more, was originally planned to have her own unique moveset, before Red Hook realized that having a class with a unique moveset exclusive to Kickstarter backers would be unfair. They settled on making her a Moveset Clone of the Arbalest instead.
- The Crusader was originally going to have a helmet that exposed his face; this design can still be seen on the official website and the 2013 trailer.
- Why Fandom Can't Have Nice Things: The Musketeer skin was originally available only to Kickstarter backers and the developers vowed to never make it available to the general public. Unfortunately, the proliferation of mods that do just that prompted them to make the Musketeer available to everyone for free alongside the release of The Color of Madness DLC, with the original backers getting a free copy of CoM as compensation.
Trivia / Darkest Dungeon