Saving Hope is a Canadian medical series that premiered in CTV and NBC in June 2012. NBC dropped the show after one season, but ION later picked it up, and began airing the series from season one in 2016.
The show centers around doctors at Hope Zion Hospital in Toronto.
It ended after five seasons.
Tropes used by the series:
- Adorkable: Shahir. Also Zach.
- Bi the Way: Maggie.
- Bookends: The season three premiere features Joel recounting to Zach how he arranged to have Alex's bike stolen when they first met so he could offer her a ride home. The season ends with Alex recounting the same story to Maggie after Joel's death.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: Joel kisses Alex on the lips while she is comatose. She wakes up seconds later. Oddly enough, her spirit form was kissing Charlie at the same time.
- Easy Amnesia: Alex's amnesia after her coma lasts for one episode, with her memory rushing back as she performs CPR on a patient.
- Heroic BSoD: Zach has one after witnessing Joel blow up in front of him.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Joel sends Zach on a fake errand to put him out of harm's way while they are taking a mortar shell out of a patient. Joel ends up dying.
- Hospital Hottie: Basically across the board...
- Irony: In "All the Pretty Horses," the demolitions/ bomb expert is the one with the mortar round stuck inside him.
- I See Dead People: Charlie has this ability after waking up from his coma.
- Intoxication Ensues: Gavin, after consuming several sugar cubes laced with LSD.
- Invisible to Normals: The ghosts/ spirits to everyone but Charlie. When Alex is in a coma, a spirit who is brain dead can't see her, though Alex can see the patient.
- Killed Off for Real: Joel, in the season three finale.
- Love Triangle: Alex/ Charlie/ Joel, particularly in season three.
- Mix and Match: Medical drama + supernatural.
- Nice Guy: Gavin.
- One of Our Own: The doctors become patients frequently over the series' run, including Charlie for the majority of the first season (he was in a coma).
- Pet the Dog: Dawn is very no-nonsense, and frequently downright mean, but Spirit Alex witnesses her gushing over her guinea pig.
- Promoted to Parent: Alex claims to have basically raised her younger brothers after their father's suicide, which led to their mother's alcoholism.
- Real Life Writes the Plot:
- Twofer Token Minority: Shahir is both Indian and gay (and also has Asperger's, so really a three-fer?).
- Unfinished Business: Most of the ghosts / spirits in the hospital have this, and resolve it with Charlie's help.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: It seems odd that we don't get to see the stuck-together patients from "Awakening" reunite after their surgery, particularly to see whether the woman accepts the proposal.