Mikoto Saijou was born with a heart defect. However, due to being operated on by skilled pediatric surgeon, Mamoru Shindou, he made it out alive. In gratitude, Mikoto wants to become a surgeon and someday be the greatest pediatric surgeon in the world. In his quest to change the Japanese medical system, he encounters new allies, who joined his side after they were inspired by his passion to help children and prodigious skill in medicine.
Saijou no Meii ("The Best Skilled Surgeon") is a shonen manga written by Kenzou Irie and illustrated by Takashi Hashiguchi (who previously created Yakitate!! Japan). The manga was serialized in Weekly Shonen Sunday from 2007 to 2010 and compiled into 11 volumes. The series has a live action adaptation and a ongoing sequel named Saijou no Meii - The King of Neet that stars a new protagonist.
This manga provides examples of:
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Although Mikoto can be very childish at times and is obsessed with collecting Mushiman merchandise, he's extremely competant at his job.
- Disguised in Drag: In chapter 24, Mikoto has to disguise himself as a girl so he can observe the operation.
- Exposition Diagram: Imaginary diagrams are used in almost every chapter in the series to explain medical procedures, politics, and terminology.
- Genki Girl: Sena is energetic and pretty cheery most of the time.
- Hairstyle Inertia: Mikoto has the exact same hairstyle he had as a kid.
- Idiot Savant: Mikoto has some traits associated with this. Although, he's a surgical genius with extreme spatial-awareness that allows him to perform incredible medical feats, he's also very childish, obsessed with a Captain Ersatz of Kamen Rider & yammers on about it to anybody who'll listen. The plot of chapter five revolves around him being incapable of recognizing a fellow doctor when she's in civilian clothes.
- Job Title: The title which is translated as "The Best Skilled Surgeon", which is of course the main character's job.
- A Minor Kidroduction: In the first chapter, Mikoto is introduced as a ten year old kid.
- Older Than They Look: Saijou should be in his 20's but he looks about 15 and acts even less than that. Probably to make it easier for the readers to identify with, as the author's stated goal in writing the manga was to inspire young people to study medicine.
- Shot to the Heart: Not an injection in this case, but in the first chapter a 10 year old Saijou is trapped in a boat in the middle of a storm and forced to pierce his best friend's chest with a fish hook when he suffers a case of Traumatic Cardiac Tamponade.
- The Smurfette Principle: Sena is the only female character in the main cast.
- Snot Bubble: In chapter 7, Mikoto does this when he falls asleep during the hospital director's speech.
- Spit Take: In chapter 14, the assistant director spits out his tea when Mikoto announces he got consent from Nasuka's mother to perform the surgery.