Marge is inspired by a Japanese book on minimalism to adapt to a new way of living, so the Simpsons have to part with items that no longer bring them joy, which includes Homer finding a new home for the family pig.
This episode provides examples of:
- Anything but That!: Homer's reaction to Marge's ultimatum:Marge: If you don't find a home for that pig, I'm going to withhold...
Homer: No, whatever you're going to withhold... anything but that! I'll find him a home!
- Behind the Black: When Lisa donates her fad-based Malibu Stacies to Comic Book Guy, she walks off screen, and Comic Book Guy (who just told her they were worth nothing) immediately starts putting expensive price tags on them. Then Lisa catches him in the act, since she never actually left the store.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Mentioned when Lisa gave away nearly everything in her room except her saxophone and her Bleeding Gums Murphy poster:Lisa: A great musician only needs her instrument. And underwear... 'cause this dress is mighty short.
- Forgetful Jones: Homer on the word "wallow":Marge: (discussing Plopper) Look, I'm the only one who feeds him, cleans him, and maintains his wallow.
Homer: I am grateful beyond words.
Marge: I bet you didn't even know it was called a wallow.
Homer: I certainly did!
Marge: Then tell me what it's called.
Homer: What what was called?
Marge: The word I just said.
Homer: Marge, I don't know what the word is. Let's not wallow in this all day.
- My Country Tis of Thee That I Sting: Marge describes the storing business as the only growing industry in America.
- Recut: The August 27, 2017 airing of this episode replaced the Title Sequence with a blinded Homer making a public announcement about the recent solar eclipse.
- Status Quo Is God: Homer gets the family pig back and the items the Simpsons parted with were actually stored away.
- Think of the Children!: Spoofed:Homer: Marge, before you go cuckoo with cleanliness and throw everything out, think of the kids — the kids working in overseas factories to make this crap.
- We're Still Relevant, Dammit!: Lisa's Malibu Stacy dolls she gives away.Lisa: Goodbye, Businesswoman Malibu Stacy, Plus-Size Malibu Stacy, and Nongender-Normative Malibu Stacy. Your attempts to enter to 21st century brought joy to no one.