Release: December 22, 2009
Show: The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)
This review contains examples of:
- Artifact Title: The Critic calls the title this because Christmas isn't being celebrated, nor is it mentioned.
- Big Damn Heroes: Santa Christ
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: The gag is parodied when the Critic prevents the card from showing up after the Jefferson Starship scene, saying that if he does, he'll be here all night.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: "Help me, Santa! Help me, Jesus Christ! Help me...SANTA CHRIST!!!!"
- Call-Back: When Art Carney first enters the special, Critic comments on his appearance and adds "...and yes, I checked, it is actually him" in reference to him mistaking Robert Prosky for Art Carney in the original version of his Last Action Hero review.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: The Critic calls the special sick for what appears to be Itchy masturbating to a sexual fantasy.
- Fun with Subtitles: The Critic puts subtitles over scenes of Chewbacca's family.Malla: Junior, come over here and eat your yak testicles!
Lumpy: They taste like diarrhea! I wish I was adopted!
Malla: You were adopted! You're just a Sand Person we glued hair on to! Now eat your dinner, you abomination!
- Interrupted Catchphrase: "Hello, I'm the Nostalgia Critic, I remember it-" (bolts from his chair and runs outside to try to escape reviewing this special)
- Memetic Badass: Santa Christ, according to his song.
- Nominal Importance: The Critic never refers to Chewbacca's family with their names (even having Malla address Itchy as "Junior" in the added subtitles), although Malla's name is said often in the footage.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: In the scene where Harvey Korman shows how to put together a translator, the Critic adds, "And yes, they show you every. Single. Solitary. STEP!!"
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The commentary reveals that Santa Christ's Big Damn Heroes moment was put in because the Walkers' copy of the special cut out during Leia's song.
- Sarcasm Mode: "Yeah, when you think of Star Wars, you think of Bea Arthur!"
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Subverted. At the very beginning, the Critic tries to make a break for it before being dragged back to review the special.
- Squic: In-Universe example; he is thoroughly disgusted with Itchy seemingly becoming aroused at the erotic video featuring Diahanne Carroll.
- Take That!
- This Is Gonna Suck: After having directed Howard the Duck and created Jar Jar Binks, the Critic is filled with nothing but dread when he realizes George Lucas is publicly ashamed of this special's mere existence.
- Toilet Humor / Bring My Brown Pants: While the Critic watches the instructional video for the mini transmitter:Critic: My god, I'm actually getting stupider while I am watching it! There goes my college education! There goes whatever five times five equals! There went my name, don't remember anymore. There went the ability to control my bowels. (takes a dump in his pants) I'm stupid now, I don't even care.
- Took the Bad Film Seriously: Invoked by the Critic, who says that Bea Arthur is the only one putting actual effort into her acting and appreciates her for it. In fact, he even considers her waitress scenes to be perhaps the only redeeming factor in the special.