Gumball and Darwin are separated from their class on a picnic trip, and have to survive through the Forest of Doom.
- Always a Bigger Fish: Used for an Overly Long Gag.
- Bowdlerization: In Poland and Latin American, the part where the squirrels' happy chittering is translated into gruesome dialogue about Gumball and Darwin not surviving and their planning to eat them is either cut out (Polish dub) or have the subtitles digitally removed (Latin American dub).
- Brick Joke: While hunting, Darwin asks if he can use his fins to "fish slap" their prey. Later on, he does this to defend himself and Gumball from a giant monster and the thing immediately goes off crying.
- Dissonant Serenity: A momentary example when Gumball suggests they watch the stars to find their way, pointing out that the sun is a star. They both stare at the sun for a moment, before turning around to reveal their eyes are on fire.Darwin: *Still smiling* There are no words to express the amount of pain I feel right now.
Gumball: Sure there are. *Both start screaming in pain.*
- Don't Go in the Woods: Ms. Simian warns the students not to go into the Forest of Doom. Gumball and Darwin remember it as "go through the Forest of Doom", and end up accosted by very bizarre Mix-and-Match Critters while also starving.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: The Forest of Doom is full of this. The squirrels even want to eat Gumball and Darwin's corpses.
- Friction Burn: Gumball tries to start a fire through the friction & stick method. He ends up setting his hands on fire, and while he's running around screaming in pain, the wood he was trying to ignite catches on fire a few moments later. Then the rain comes.
- Furry Reminder: Darwin points out they have no weapon to hunt with, but Gumball remembers that he has claws and is a predator. He attempts to roar, but simply gives a meager meow.
- Hahaha No: Darwin asks if the most important thing while in the woods is a map (which Gumball ate). Gumball laughs before saying no and insisting it's teamwork. Later, Darwin asks if they're lost and Gumball laughs the same way before giving a nonchalant "Yep."
- Here We Go Again!: Gumball and Darwin reach the picnic site and get something to eat (trash), but then get left behind by the rest of the class again and still don't know which way to follow.
- Ignored Epiphany: Gumball realizes he has no idea about surviving in the wilderness, but Darwin cheers him up, perfectly restoring his unwarranted confidence.
- Insane Troll Logic:
- Gumball reasons that, because everything (including food) is made up of "circles with circles around them" (atoms), a rock is the same as a chicken nugget.
- Gumball says that they could look at the stars to know where to go. When Darwin points that it's daytime, Gumball states that the sun is a star, and therefore they should watch it directly to find their way.
- Missed Him by That Much: Darwin and Gumball run right past the rest of the class, failing to notice them or the sign pointing to the picnic because their eyes were on fire.
- No Party Like a Donner Party: It appears in one scene that Darwin resorted to devouring Gumball, but instead ate Gumball clothes.
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: Darwin starts turning extremely skeletal after going too long without eating. He turns back once he eats Gumball's clothes.
- Overly Long Gag: Gumball and Darwin spare a caterpillar only for it to be grabbed by a hawk-like monster... which are both eaten by a large monster... which is eaten by a larger monster... which is eaten by an even bigger monster than that.
- Too Hungry to Be Polite: Once Darwin and Gumball finally make it to the picnic ground, they're so starving that they shove their faces directly into the trashcan to eat everyone else's leftovers. Gumball was also naked at the time and didn't bother covering his nudity.
- Trivial Title: We only get a few scenes of the actual picnic; the rest of the episode is Darwin and Gumball getting lost in a forest on the way there. "Picnic" can also mean "a very easily accomplished task". The trip through the forest was anything but, making it also an Ironic Episode Title.