Archer and Trip are arrested by Enolians and placed on a transport for a penal colony.
- Big "SHUT UP!": Zoumas gets this a few times from both Kuroda and Trip.
- Electric Torture: How the handcuffs work. Becomes a Chekhov's Gun when Archer uses it as an Improvised Weapon against Kuroda.
- Grudging "Thank You": The Nausicaan gives Trip a sarcastic one after he helps save the prison transport and is promptly re-cuffed.
- Had to Come to Prison to Be a Crook: Kuroda explains this in his backstory. He was blamed for stealing a latinum brace and spent five years in prison. After he left, he became a hardened and ruthless criminal.
- Hellhole Prison: Canamar is heavily implied to be one, hence Kuroda's refusal to ever go back.
- Idiot Ball: Apparently, no one is watching the prisoner hold for any disturbances or potential break-outs.
- I Surrender, Suckers: Part of Archer's plan to escape the patrol ships, leading up to Weaponized Exhaust.
- Jerkass: One of the guards zaps Archer when he starts asking questions, and later Trip for no good reason.
- Kangaroo Court: What apparently awaits anyone who gets arrested.Trip: Is this how your justice system works? Ship people off to prison without a trial?
Zoumas: There's a processing station in orbit. You'll be tried, sentenced, and sent down to the surface.
Trip: What if you're not guilty?
Zoumas: We're all guilty as far as they're concerned.
- Motor Mouth: Much to Trip's (and everyone else's) annoyance, Zoumas never shuts up.
- Never Going Back to Prison: Kuroda chooses to remain on the transport as it's burning up rather than go back to Canamar.Archer: Kuroda! It's over!
Kuroda: I WON'T GO BACK!
- Never Trust a Trailer: A Downplayed example compared to many others, but the trailer makes it look like Archer and Trip are imprisoned on the titular penal colony (which is never actually shown), rather than a Prison Ship headed for said colony.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Subverted with the Enolian official, who proves reasonably helpful.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Archer gives this as the reason why he doesn't destroy the disabled Enolian patrol ships.Kuroda: As soon as they repair the damage, they'll come after us again!
Archer: Do you think the Enolians are just going to give up if we destroy two of their ships? All I'm wanted for is smuggling. I don't need to add murder charges to it. Let me get us out of here.
- Prison Ship: Archer and Trip are put on one. It's promptly taken over by an escaped con and his Nausicaan accomplice.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Archer gives one to the Enolian official—and, by extension, the entire Enolian justice system:"I'll give you [a report] right now. Kuroda's dead; the other eleven prisoners are under guard. As you're aware, my engineer and I were falsely arrested! We almost wound up in Canamar! Makes me wonder how many others don't belong there! You wanted a report? You got one."
- Save the Villain: Enterprise rescues almost all the prisoners (though how many of them are actually villains is unclear) and the transport crew. Kuroda, however, decides on Going Down with the Ship.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Archer tells Kuroda that this is why he's suddenly innocent.Archer: I have friends who wanted to keep doing business with me. They made a few discreet payments and now...I'm innocent.
- Tap on the Head: Trip gives one to the Nausicaan.
- Weaponized Exhaust: To get away from the Enolian patrol ships, Archer dumps a bunch of plasma exhaust in their faces and then ignites it. The ships are disabled but not badly damaged.