Airdate: November 10, 2006
SpongeBob is all set for his "Best Day Ever", but he constantly runs into setbacks when his friends need help with their problems.
"Best Day Ever" contains examples of:
- An Aesop:
- It's hard to achieve a perfect day, but you should focus on the positive more than the negative.
- Not everything will go according to plan, and that's okay.
- Sometimes, the best things are what you give, not what you get.
- Big "NO!": By SpongeBob when Squidward's concert ends, which is the last straw for him.
- Broken Aesop: The "the best things are what you give, not what you get" aesop rings hollow in the case of SpongeBob giving up his jellyfishing net to Patrick. The two could have easily taken turns using it, and this was clearly SpongeBob's intention, but Patrick was being selfish and hogging it.
- Continuity Nod: This wasn't the first time Squidward had issues with his clarinet reed.
- Failed a Spot Check: SpongeBob somehow doesn't notice that the Krusty Krab is locked up and covered with police tape even when he walks right up to the front door.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: SpongeBob slaps Squidward when he's crying over his busted reed and orders him to continue with his recital.
- Hope Spot:
- Patrick broke his jellyfishing net and is crying about it. SpongeBob brought his old net, with the intent to use Composite-Pro net. It looks like they both get to jellyfish with no problems, but seconds later, Patrick somehow breaks the spare net and wants to use his friend's new one.
- After immediately solving Squidward's clarinet problem, SpongeBob thought that something was finally going his way...only for a bouncer to refuse to let him in because he didn't bring his ticket.
- Then SpongeBob finally gets to see the concert after learning he's on the VIP list...only for the concert to end right when he sits down.
- It's the Best Whatever, Ever!: SpongeBob is determined to make his day the "Best Day Ever".
- It Was with You All Along: SpongeBob's friends reassure him that sacrificing his perfect day to help them was indeed his best day ever in their book, and he had it all along.
- Pet the Dog: Squidward has Spongebob on the VIP list for his concert, along with other characters including Mr. Krabs, Sandy, and Patrick.
- Poor Communication Kills: The usher would've let Spongebob in sooner had he told him his name.
- Rage Breaking Point: After missing Squidward's concert, SpongeBob flipped out that he didn't get to do any of the fun activities he was hoping for until his friends reassure him.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Judging by the amount of applause Squidward got at the end of his concert, he actually managed to pull off a pretty decent performance.
- Title Drop: Several times over the course of the episode.
- The Tooth Hurts: SpongeBob pulls out one of his buckteeth in order to replace Squidward's broken reed.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Not only does Patrick not give SpongeBob a chance to use his new jellyfishing net, he didn't even remember he gave it up so he could have fun in the first place. Of course, the latter detail could be more of Patrick being forgetful than ungrateful.
Airdate: February 19, 2007
It's Best Friends Day and Patrick gives SpongeBob his gigantic ball of bubble-gum. SpongeBob is at first grateful for Patrick's gift, but he soon schemes to get rid of it once he realizes how inconvenient "Gummy" really is.
"The Gift of Gum" contains examples of:
- An Aesop: What you may like might not be what your friends like.
- Bubblegum Popping: Patrick gets a case of the hiccups after he chews up all the gum covering SpongeBob's house. This causes him to hiccup a giant bubble that eventually pops and covers all of Bikini Bottom with gum.
- Companion Cube: Patrick calls his ball of gum "Gummy" and treats its spewing of spit as a sign of affection.
- Faked Gift Acceptance: SpongeBob seems to like "Gummy", but tries repeatedly to get rid of it whenever Patrick's away.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: Lots of close-ups of the various gross items stuck to Gummy.
- It's the Best Whatever, Ever!: When the whole town is covered in gum at the end, Patrick says, "This is the best Best Friends Day ever!"
- Literal Metaphor:SpongeBob: Looks like I got myself into a pretty sticky situation.
- Robot Buddy: For Best Friends Day, SpongeBob gives Patrick Robo 2.1, a robot servant who tends to Patrick's every need.
- Shout-Out: During the cleaning of the gum, Patrick eats some of the gum like Pac-Man.
- Sticky Situation: SpongeBob attempts to get rid of Gummy at night, but this ends badly when not only does he end up stuck, but his impact had sprayed the gum all over his pineapple. Sandy is the next victim who ends up stuck in the gum after trying to lasso SpongeBob free with a passing truck, and finally Squidward is the last victim who falls right into the gum. Thankfully, Patrick chews up all of the splattered gum, until he hiccups a giant bubble that covers all of Bikini Bottom with gum.
- Unwanted Gift Plot: After Patrick gives SpongeBob a large ball of gum as a gift, SpongeBob becomes so scared and disgusted by it that he attempts to get rid of it without Patrick knowing.