Dance Dance Infiltration
Cinder (ear-bud): How long do I have?
Mercury: You should probably be home by midnight, to be safe.
While everyone enjoys the school dance, Ruby and Jaune struggle to fit in. Ruby's problem is solved when she spots a villain that is up to no good while Jaune solves his by honouring a rather unorthodox promise he made.
Tropes in this episode include:
- Attractiveness Isolation: Pyrrha reveals that her status as a celebrity makes people think she's too good for them, so she doesn't attract romantic attention.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason why Pyrrha likes Jaune is because he was the first person she met that treated her like anyone else and not as a celebrity.Pyrrha: When we met, you didn't even know my name. You treated me just like anyone else. And thanks to you, I've made friendships that will last a lifetime. I guess...you're the kind of guy I wish I was here with: someone who saw me for me.
- Brick Joke: In "Extracurricular", Jaune offhandedly mentioned he would wear a dress if Pyrrha couldn't get a date to the dance. He ends up keeping his word, entering the ballroom in a white dress.
- Didn't See That Coming: Ruby and Yang think that they can handle whatever gets thrown at them...until Jaune walks in wearing a dress.
- I Gave My Word: In the previous episode, Jaune jokingly told Pyrrha that if nobody asked her to the dance he'd wear a dress. After finding out that nobody did in fact ask her, he showed back up to the dance wearing a dress without even a hint of embarrassment on his face, declaring, "An Arc never goes back on his word."
- Mood Whiplash: The first half of the episode is lighthearted conversations about the kids and the kinds of problems they suffer from, such as romance and being popular. The second half has Cinder taking advantage of the dance to break into Beacon's computer system.
- Oh, Crap!: The elevator guards, looking from the mystery intruder to the unconscious (or worse) guards beyond, then back to her as she joins them in the elevator.
- Unmanly Secret: Neptune reveals that his coolness is a facade to compensate for his flaws and insecurities such as not knowing how to dance.