Best Day Ever
The first episode of the new volume kicks off with a splash as Teams RWBY and JNPR take over the hall for a food fight.
Tropes in this episode include:
- Big "NO!": Part of Ruby's Pietà Plagiarism while holding Weiss.
- Brick Joke: Nora defeats Yang by hammering her through the ceiling and into the sky. After the fight is over and Glynda has fixed the cafeteria, Yang crashes back in through the roof.
- Most of the moves used during the food fight are references to moves used during the trailers and Volume 1.
- In Volume 1, Nora sings "I'm queen of the castle" when she grabs the Queen chess piece. She sings it again during the foodfight while standing on a mountain of stacked dinner tables.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: After individuals of Teams RWBY and JNPR alternate between scoring K.O.'s on each other, Ruby ends the fight single-handedly with a spiral-attack, creating a whirlwind which pins all of Team JNPR to the wall (followed by all of the remaining food).
- Food Fight: Teams RWBY and JNPR use food as weapons (hardened by their aura) to fight each other in an over the top brawl.
- Funny Background Event: While Sun and Neptune walk along the side of Beacon's cafeteria, Sun tries to explain to Neptune just how cool his new Beacon friends are. As he says that, one of the windows behind him suddenly receive two splats of colour and Jaune gets pinned helplessly against the glass. It's the first hint that Sun and Neptune are about to walk into a food fight between Teams RWBY and JNPR.
- Implied Death Threat: Torchwick makes it clear that he despises Mercury and Emerald, going as far as to do this before being cut off by Cinder.
- Improvised Weapon: In the food fight, everyone uses food that allow them to use their normal battle moves: Yang uses turkey gloves like she uses her gun-gauntlets, Pyrrha and Blake use baguettes like swords while Weiss does the same with a swordfish. Ren fights with leeks while Nora jams a pole into a watermelon to use it like a hammer. Other effects include Weiss mimicking her Ice slide with tomato ketchup, Blake using a string of sausages like a whip, Nora using soda cans as grenades and Pyrrha using her bread-sword as a javelin.
- Lame Pun Reaction: Yang's "I always kick my semesters off with a yang!" pun causes the music to peter out and Nora to chuck an apple at her head and boo her.
- Magnetism Manipulation: Though Pyrrha normally makes careful use of her polarity Semblance, she shows off just how powerful it can be by manipulating hundreds of soda cans at once.
- Mundane Made Awesome: The heroes participate in a giant food fight which is treated with all the climactic gravitas of a fight to the death. The food is used exactly as they'd use their weapons. So French sticks become swords and javelins, swordfish are used like rapiers, condiments are used instead of ice-slicks, roast chickens are used as boxing gloves, and so on.
- Pietà Plagiarism: Hilariously spoofed with Weiss and Ruby.Ruby: Weiss! Weiss! Don't leeeave me! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
- Sacrificial Lamb: Tukson is a defector from the White Fang which means the organisation has a hit out on his life. Emerald and Mercury's debut appearance consists of locating him, killing him swiftly and then joking about it afterwards to introduce how tough and ruthless they are.
- Swordfish Sabre: In place of her normal rapier, Weiss uses a swordfish during the food fight.
- Title Drop: Weiss's binder had been relabeled "Best Day Ever" by Ruby, who has filled it with plans for how to spend their last day before school begins.
- X on a Stick: Nora yanks a metal flagpole out from a wall and makes a hammer by sticking a watermelon onto it.