My Superhero University | Season 01, Episode 01: Welcome to a New Kind of Tension
Narration: It had been months since the death of the Saint. Since then, the world he had built had slowly started to crumble.
Benny: Mr. Calston, you must know that we can't just accept the facts as they're presented by these mainstream media shills. They shill so hard for Saint Academy! I mean, either they really are that careless, or they're actively for metahuman domination of the Earth.
Wren: You big. Wren no big. Wren small. Wren still kill you. Big means big meat. Big mean hard, though. Could kill Wren. Wren not want killed.
Yoko: Don't worry, Sam. They won't bite. And they're half yōkai. They may be small, but they can protect themselves~!
Chibuzo: That one class that was Gaea's prey... the class they used to spread metahuman hate amongst the powerless populace...but this class retaliated...and after seeing this retaliation, Gaea decided to bite back, with chopping the neck of the man many people have clung onto like baby ducklets...even after their defeat, the bittersweet taste the death of Saint left on the entire globe's mouth is still present, and more and more supervillains are trying to spread chaos on this city and, possibly, the whole world...
Mikael: One hopes you're more than a distraction in combat. Unless you're aiming to be one of those search-and-rescue type heroes, being able to fight villains... helps... is that an octopus?
Roboctopus: This is a training room, no? Have you any idea when the actual training is supposed to start. I do have a limited lifespan and would like to get on with learning how to properly become a superhero, you know.
Dante: Also, you're already worried about your death, huh? I guess that you shouldn't not be...common octopi like you averagely live for one or two years...and it's sad actually...not having a long lifespan like humans do, or having biological immortality like demons, yōkai, the undead and whatever Iuvem is kinda sucks...
Clay: So I reckon that's our instructor, but where is the rest of him?
Evelyn: Don't be rude, Clay...He probably left it at home.
Ever Green: The first thing you do is force both sides into a defensive match. Battles are rarely started without warning and you need time to uncover all the facts. They are often the result of scaled hostilities from increasingly petty past events. More often than not, both sides will truly and fully believe the opposite side to be the instigator. Battle is complicated like that.
Jumping Bean: I'm a Xian from the Celestial Bureaucracy, and I have been sent to sort this out, please and thank you, if you could all just stop for a moment I could fill out the paperwork and go home!
- Short Synopsis:The new teacher, Fujin, tries to teach the new university freshman how to defuse an imminent battle.
- First Post: April 6th 2019
- Webcomic Time: 26th August 2019
Tropes - Caution, unmarked spoilers
- Celestial Bureaucracy: Jumping Bean even asks two warring sides to fill out paperwork.
- Celebrity Superhero: Martin leverages his role in the 2018 Battle of Super City to gain fame and leveraged that to advance his brand of heroism.
- The Conspiracy: Martin has an open hero project going on, and Mahvash is gathering Offscreen Villain Dark Matter behind the scenes.
- Cosmic Keystone: One makes and Early-Bird Cameo.
- Cult of Personality: Saint's influence over heroism lead to this...with dire consequences for supers of all kinds after his death.
- Cutting the Knot: The Iridium Wonders just go around the glitches when the training room goes haywire and flip the breakers... even if it takes a few flips for it to work.
- End of the Beginning: What the Battle of Super City turned out to be.
- Friendship Moment: Finn and Dante reconcile.
- Improbable Infant Survival: Zach and Yoko bring their kids to class... in the training room... which malfunctions.
- Just Before the End: The opening narration doesn't bode well for the state of the world.
- Omnicidal Neutral: Wren's unique solution to Fujin's dilemma.
- Playing Both Sides: Mahvash's unique solution to Fujin's dilemma.
- Pompous Political Pundit: Shane crosses with one. He ends it physically.
- Sadist Teacher: Martin and Mahvash are very over these types, and then Fujin comes in throwing his weight around.
- Spanner in the Works: Viv's entrance through a wall throws the training room program off and cancels the class due to them having to keep glitches from killing everyone.
- Standing Between the Enemies: How the training simulation starts out, which puts the students in an awkward position when the training goes off the rails.
- Think Nothing of It: Mahvash is one of the few to have avoided public fame after the 2018 Super City Battle. That has nothing to do with humility.
- Walking Wasteland: Mahvash eases the way down for the students when the gravity flips and even does it in a way to avoid the issues with sudden catches, but being herself, it comes with side effects... like lack of oxygen.