- "Keep your chin up!"
Airdate: October 27, 2002
"Out of Sight, Out of Mime" is the ninth episode of the second (internet) season of Happy Tree Friends.
Mime goes trick-or-treating at Mole's house. Due to the former not making any noise and the latter's blindness, Mole considers that no one is actually outside and slams the door on Mime, making him disappointed. Soon he sees a group of trick-or-treaters visiting Mole's house, so he uses this opportunity to complete what he just failed before. Hearing the group's noise, Mole begins to give them candy, only to drop them where rats immediately eat all of them, scaring off the trick-or-treaters. However, Lumpy, who dresses as the Grim Reaper, accidentally beheads Mime with his scythe, causing it to fall off into a group of pumpkins. Mole mistakenly picks it up to make another jack-o-lantern, the whole process shown in graphic detail. Once he is done, the poorly-carved head is placed outside where a rat takes out the hanging eye. A cheap paper ghost then drops down and wails to close the episode.
"Out of Sight, Out of Mime" contains examples of:
- Accidental Murder: Lumpy beheads Mime with his (surprisingly real) scythe.
- Ambidextrous Sprite: Lumpy's antlers.
- Bedsheet Ghost: Flaky's costume. Also Cro-Marmot's costume in the extended version.
- Blind Mistake: Mole mistaking Mime's head for a pumpkin.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: The owl and the kitten in the extended version.
- The Cameo: The kitten in the extended version is the same one from "Tongue Twister Trouble", albeit only appearing in silhouette (its iconic green eyes being the only thing to distinguish it).
- Cute Witch: Giggles's costume.
- A Day in the Limelight: Mime's only starring role in this season that actually centers around him.
- Devoured by the Horde: The dropped candies being eaten by a swarm of rats. Nothing is left behind.
- DVD Bonus Content: This episode has an extended beginning that was not available on the web when this episode was first released.
- Facial Horror: The final result of Mime's carved head.
- The Grim Reaper: Lumpy's costume.
- Halloween Episode
- Mime's tail disappears when he is about to be beheaded by Lumpy.
- At one moment, Mime's cheek markings disappear briefly.
- Off with His Head!: Mime's death.
- Poor Communication Kills: As it turns out. Mimes and blind people do not interact well with each other.
- Pun-Based Title: "Out of sight, out of mind"
- Sole Survivor: A rare inversion for the show. In an episode with a fairly large cast, Mime is the only character to die.
- Special Edition Title: The first episode to use the show's spooky-themed intro.
- Suddenly Voiced: One of the few episodes where Mime produces a sound verbally.
- Swarm of Rats: What scared off the trick-or-treaters.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Mime dies.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Mole, Lumpy, Flaky, Giggles, Pop, Cub, Flippy, and Nutty survive the episode this time.
- Updated Re-release:
- The DVD version of this episode has an extended beginning with additional characters.
- This is also one of the early episodes to be part of "Classics Remastered" releases, which rereleases early HTF episodes in HD. In addition to the extended sequence, organ music was added to said sequence instead of leaving it silent.