Naglfar are a Swedish Black Metal band forming in 1992, originally under the name Uninterred, with Jens Rydén on vocals and guitar, and Kristoffer Olivius on bass. When additional members eventually joined, Ryden could focus entirely on vocals. Sometime after a few lineup changes, they changed their name to Naglfar, the name deriving from a ship in Norse mythology made from the nails of the dead.
They signed onto Wrong again records in 1995, releasing Vittra. Drummer Mattias Holmgren left shortly after, and they remained silent until sometime in 1998, with the sophomore effort Diabolical being released on War Music.
In 2002, the were signed onto Century Media Records and it is currently their main label. Diabolical was rereleased and Sheol released in 2003. Jens left the band, with Kristoffer, originally the bassist, now doing lead vocals, which carried onto Pariah and Harvest. In 2009, they begun to write Teras which took two years to complete, but was eventually released.
- Kristoffer "Wrath" Olivius bass (19922005), lead vocals (2005present)
- Andreas Nilsson guitars (1993present)
- Marcus "Vargher" Norman guitars, bass, keyboard (2000present)
Notable Past Member(s):
- Jens Rydén lead vocals (19922005), guitars (19921993)
- Alex 'Impaler' Friberg - Bass (2012-present)
- Efraim Juntunen - Drums (2012-present)
- Vittra (1995)
- Diabolical (1998)
- Sheol (2003)
- Pariah (2005)
- Harvest (2007)
- Téras (2012)
This band provides examples of the following:
- Axe-Crazy: "The Murder Manifesto"
- Bald of Awesome: Kristoffer
- Black Metal
- Careful with That Axe: Both Jens and Kristoffer unleash some truly terrifying screams.
- Cover Version: "The Evil that Men Do" by Iron Maiden, "Pleasure to Kill" by Kreator, "Skulls" by Misfits, and "The Calling Blaze" by Throne of Ahaz,
- Creative Differences: Fredrik Degerström left for this reason,
- Dark Is Evil
- Development Hell: Teras was in a minor one.
- Epic Rocking:
- From Vittra, "As the Twilight Gave Birth to the Night", "Emerging From Her Weepings", and "Exalted Above Thrones".
- Diabloical gives us "Into the Cold Voids of Eternity" and "Diabolical - The Devils Child"
- Sheol has "Black God Aftermath" and "Abysmal Descent".
- Off Teras, "The Monolith" and "The Dying Flame of Existence"
- I Am the Band: Kristoffer
- Lead Bassist: Kristoffer was a type C and minor type B when he still played bass. He became the main vocalist when Jens left.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Solid 10.
- Revolving Door Band
- Signature Style: Overly violet yet melodic Black Metal with the occasional death riffage of the Swedish style.
- Special Guest: Peter Tatgren does backing vocals on Vittra.
- Start My Own: Jens started Profundi, a solo black/Death Metal project after he left.