Laura Jane Amanda White (born 31 August 1987) is an English singer from Atherton, Greater Manchester, England. She is best known for reaching the final twelve of the fifth UK series of television talent show The X Factor in 2008. White's debut single, "You Should Have Known" charted at number 32 on the UK Singles Chart. Her second single "Radio" will be released on 21 June, followed by her debut album.
In early 2010, White was the opening act of Peter Andre tour.
This musician shows examples of:
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Contractual Obligation Project / Springtime for Hitler: Laura lives up to the music industry phenomenon of the "contractual obligation" album. These are albums produced to fulfill the terms of a contract with a record label, usually at the label's insistence; but which the musicians do not want to record, either because they are unhappy with their contract, or they feel they lack sufficient good material for an album, or they are just no longer interested in doing it. "Contractual obligation" albums are typically either complete garbage done as a "screw you" to the record label, something completely silly done as way to blow off steam, a Greatest Hits Album, or a bizarre/experimental art project of some sort. Most of the time, these albums flop as intended; but occasionally, they will go on to achieve a substantial cult following. Occasionally, they will even make a small profit for the label.
- Her album, which has yet to be released, has apparently been seen as a "contractual obligation" album by the British radio industry.
- A lot of people could not agree about the quality of You Should Have Known with opinions ranging from good, bad to just plain awful. As such, it became a cult classic anyhow.
- Subverted Kids' Show: Not to the level of Lily Allen, but...
- Darker and Edgier: Her material is supposed to be changing this way soon...
- Edited for Syndication The radio version is shorter than the Spotify version.
- Expy: Some consider her an expy of Vanessa Paradis.
- Fan Disservice: Well, if reports on British showbiz blogs are anything to go by.
- Hotter and Sexier: Subverted. In fact, any photos of her have been seen as less sexy.
- Informed Attractiveness: The media's opinion of her, in general.
- The Parody: Her single You Should Have Known is a sort of Deconstructive Parody of dance music and love songs. Even the music video is a crossover between the two, albeit in a Take That! way - at her record company.
- Reality TV: This is where it all began for her.
- Refuge in Audacity
- Serious Business: Well, it's becoming this way, in the same way that Lady Gaga and Kesha are.
- At one point, whether she won a round of The X Factor or not even made Parliamentary discussion.
- Take That!: The music video for You Should Have Known, which is a spoof of dance music videos mixed with a love song.
- Take That, Critics!: Taken up to eleven in interviews, particularly on local radio and local news programmes.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: Notable aversion. Laura remains entirely clothed throughout her videos, and in a supposedly non-sexual manner.