Clannad are an Irish family musical group consisting of three siblings and two of their uncles. Generally considered to be a Folk Music band, they also have considerable elements of New Age, especially in their later albums, and have occasionally dabbled in rock music.
They most well known for performing the theme song to the television series Harry's Game and all the music for the later television series Robin of Sherwood. Another sibling, Enya, was briefly also a member of the band before going solo and they have also recorded with Bono of U2. The band predates the visual novel CLANNAD by over twenty years having formed in 1970 and have released sixteen full studio albums during their career.
The band planned to make a farewell tour in 2020 but this has been delayed due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Moya Brennan vocals, harp (1970present)
- Ciarán Brennan bass, guitar, keyboards, mandolin, vocals (1970present)
- Noel Duggan guitar, vocals (1970present)
- Pól Brennan flute, guitar, percussion, whistles, vocals (197090, 2011present)
- Enya - keyboards and additional vocals (1980-1982)
- Pádraig Duggan guitar, mandola, mandolin, vocals (19702016, his death)
- 1973: Clannad
- 1975: Clannad 2
- 1976: Dúlamán (Seaweed)
- 1980: Crann Ull (Apple Tree)
- 1981: Fuaim (Sound)
- 1983: Magical Ring
- 1984: Legend (Robin of Sherwood soundtrack)
- 1985: Macalla (Echo)
- 1987: Sirius
- 1989: Atlantic Realmnote
- 1989: The Angel and the Soldier Boynote
- 1990: Anam (Soul)
- 1993: Banbanote
- 1996: Lore
- 1998: Landmarks
- 2013: Nádúr (Nature)
Clannad provides examples of the following tropes:
- Band of Relatives: Type 2 - three siblings (plus one other briefly) and their two (now one after Pádraig Duggan's passing) uncles.
- Breakup Breakout: Semi-subverted - Enya's career is arguably more successful with a higher international profile but Clannad have done pretty well without her too.
- CrossOver: They sang a duet with U2 during the track "In A Lifetime" from The Joshua Tree.
- Long-Runner Line-up: Aside from Enya's brief tenure with the band, they kept the same five person lineup from 1970 to 1990, then continued as a four piece when Pól Brennan left the band until 2011 when he returned and they became a five piece again, until 2016 when Pádraig Duggan passed away and they became a four piece again.
- Male Band, Female Singer: Moya sings lead vocals on all songs while the guys play and sing backing vocals.
- Signature Song: The "Theme from Harry's Game".