Brand-New Idol Society (Better known as BiS for short) is a Japanese Idol Group that was founded in 2010 and disbanded in 2014. Originally consisting of four members, the group experienced several lineup changes to the point where by the time of their disbandment, there had been a total of 12 girls who had been in the group, with only founder Pour Lui and Nozomi Hirano being the only original members remaining.
Their overall gimmick was one big Take That! towards the idol industry, often using motifs and imagery of either Nightmare Fuel, Fan Disservice, and even borderline pornography at times, in their attempt to "uglify idol events". This in turn caused a few members to resign from the group, due to disagreements to the "un-idol like" image they were being made to enforce.
They have a sequel group called BiSH.
Two years after their disbandment on July 8, 2016, it was announced by Pour Lui, Kenta Matsukuma and Junnosuke Watanabe that BiS would reform under a new lineup including Pour Lui, and that auditions were going to be held.
The final lineup consisted of:
- Pour Lui: "Naughty member", The group's founder and leader, originally a soloist but decided to form an idol group to cause trouble for her manager at the time.
- Nozomi Hirano: "Own-pace member", One of two remaining original members, she went on to form the group BILLIE IDLE with First Summer Uika. She also loves K-Pop, Vocaloid and anime.
- Tentenko: "Killer member", was a DJ before joining the group, and after their disbandment, returned to her old career. Her solo work consists of a lot of experimental noise music. She was also the shortest member.
- First Summer Uika: "Jester member", known for dying her hair a lot. She formed BILLIE IDLE with Nozomi Hirano and models for the mobile app POKER FACE.
- Saki Kamiya: "Handsome member", formed the duo Pla2me (which later became the idol unit POP) after BiS's disbandment. Loves to cosplay.
- Megumi Koshouji: "Spice of the group", the youngest member, formed Maison Book Girl after the disbandment. Look a lot like Moga Minami.
The former members were:
- Rina Yokoyama: "Silly member", one of the four original members and also the first to leave due to dissatisfaction with the group's "un-idol" like direction. Went on to form Akishibu Project.
- Yukiko Nakayama: one of four original members, graduated in 2011 due to creative differences (however, it is rumoured that the real reason for her graduation was a dispute with Pour Lui over the use of her personal photos in the Primal MV). Became the voalist for Morphine Tokyo.
- Yufu Terashima: "Honor student", left due to disputes with Pour Lui for similar reasons to Rina's resignation. She now performs as a soloist.
- Yurika Wakisaka: "Pure member", left the group due to a leg injury, but remains on good terms with the members.
- Rio Michibayashi: "Creepy member", left the group to find a more financially-stable career, but remains on good terms with the members.
Fashion designer Junko Koshino was also added as an honorary life member, however, she did not record any singles with BiS.
BiS contains examples of:
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Pour Lui, First Summer Uika, Tentenko.
- Bifauxnen: There's a reason Saki is known as the "handsome member"
- Beach Episode: The PV for FiNAL DANCE.
- Breakup Breakout: Arguably Rina Yokoyama who, after leaving and adopting the moniker Rinahamu, would eventually find large success with her own self-managed group CY 8 ER.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Saki is an avid cosplay enthusiast.
- Cover Version: Of Jun Togawa's Suki Suki Daisuki and on their debut album, of Pour Lui's solo song One Day.
- Face of the Band: Pour Lui
- Fanservice: Appeared naked or in swimsuits regularly. It would however sometimes veer into Fan Disservice.
- Genre Deconstruction: Of Idol Singer groups in general, particularly showing the ugly side of their Incorruptible Pure Pureness image.
- Genre Roulette: Their debut was rather down to earth musically, though since their switch to a major label they have explored genres such as digital hardcore, noise music, and ska punk.
- Ill Girl:
- Yurika left the group due to a leg injury.
- Morphine Tokyo disbanded due to Yukiko's physical health. She also ended up in a psychiatric ward shortly after.
- Promoted Fanboy: Pour Lui. Yes, really. She considers herself a fangirl of Ai Takahashi from Morning Musume and cited her as her inspiration for creating BiS.
- Shout-Out: Pour Lui and Yukkiko kissing in the PV for Paprika is a reference to t.A.T.u's All The Things She Said. The title of the Youtube video even mentions t.A.T.u by name.
- The cover for Nerve is a reference to NERV
- Squick: Many videos, such as primal showing close-ups of the inside of the singers' mouths (taking "getting close to your idols" to its literal conclusion).
- Sweet Tooth: One of Yurika's favourite hobbies is making sweets.
- Trope Codifier: For the alt-idol genre, which combines Idol Singer groups and metal music.