The Gods Lie (Kamisama ga Uso o Tsuku) by Kaori Ozaki is a short 5-chapter manga about a boy's friendship with one of his female classmates.
11-year old Natsuru is a sporty elementary school aged boy. One day he finds an abandoned kitten in a box and decides to take it home. He can't keep it due to his mother's allergies, but luckily he bumps into a classmate while outside. He sees his tall classmate Rio Suzumura walking to the grocery store with her little brother. Natsuru asks Suzumura to take care of the kitten. Natsuru and Suzumura have never interacted much before, but this chance encounter changes both of their lives.
The Gods Lie provides examples of:
- Abandoned Pet in a Box: Natsuru finds a kitten in a box and takes it home. He can't keep it so he gives it to Suzumura.
- Disappeared Dad:
- Natsuru's dad is either absent or deceased.
- Suzumura's father said he was going to Alaska to work, but just abandoned his kids with their grandfather.
- Distant Finale: The series ends a while after the previous events. It's only a short timeskip but it's enough for Natsuru and Suzumura to both develop.
- Coming-of-Age Story: It's about two kids maturing right before they begin middle school.
- Festival Episode: In one chapter, Natsuru and the siblings go to a summer festival.
- Food Theme Naming: The character's white kitten is named "Tofu".
- Huge Schoolgirl: Most of Suzumura's classmates only reach her shoulders. As a result of height, she gets teased.
- New Transfer Student: Natsuru transferred schools at the start of the year.
- Reality Ensues:
- The kids keep a beetle in a little cage. It dies within a few days.
- Natsuru, Rio, and Yuta try to run away together but, being eleven, they only make it so far before being found.
- Silent Treatment: After rejecting a trio of girls at the start of the year, they stopped talking to Natsuru.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Suzumura and her little brother Yuta look a lot alike, though they have different hair colour shades. They both resemble their father.
- Thanks for the Mammary: In the very beginning of the chapter, Natsuru comforts himself by deliberately groping his mother's breasts...and she doesn't reprimand him for it.
- Would Hit a Girl: Natsuru gets in trouble for hitting a girl who was bullying Suzumura.