'After' is a One Direction fanfiction written by Anna Todd in 2013. It follows the toxic relationship of Tessa Young and Harry Styles. In 2014, the fanfiction was published as a novel, with Harry's name being changed to Hardin (and other characters' names being changed as needed), and was released as a feature-length film in 2019.
Tessa Young is a sweet girl with good grades and a nice boyfriend. After she moves to college and her roommate convices her to go to a party, she meets Hardin.
Hardin is everything her mother disapproves. He has piercings, tattoos and he is a total jerk. When he saves her from an old man who tried to rape her, Tessa realises she has feelings for him and they both start to form a relationship.
'After' contains examples of:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Harry is handsome, has tattoos and piercings, and is a total jerk to Tessa ...yet she still finds herself attracted to him.
- Alpha Bitch: Molly. She hates Tessa for being modest.
- Genius Book Club: Tessa realizes there is more to Harry than meets the eye when she gets a glimpse of the classic books on his shelf.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Steph and her friends.
- High-School Sweethearts: Tessa and Noah, who is a year younger than her and still in high school by the beginning of the story.
- Holier Than Thou: Tessa, especially in the beginning of the book. She considers herself to be a better person than her peers because she stays at home and studies instead of going out and partying (which, apparently, anyone that's not her does), and she constantly judges the fashion and lifestyle of her roommate, Steph, for her alternative style and her partying-related habits, as well as Steph's friends that share a similar sense of style.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Hardin. Yes, he is rude and insults Tessa, but deep down he cares for her.
- MadonnaWhore Complex: Practically every female character within the book is either a repressed virgin that has never had a sip of alcohol (the best example of this being Tessa) or a wild partier that has sex every night (with an example of this being Steph).
- Nice Guy: Noah. He is loyal to Tessa, he stood up to her when her father left her, and even after she breaks up with him, he is not mad at her.
- Overprotective Mom: Tessa's mother, Carol, demands that Tessa get a new roommate after Steph allows two boys into their room when they first meet. She later spends an hour "warning [Tessa] against parties and boys."
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: At the begging of the story, Tessa was happy with Noah, since he was nice towards him. After she starts to fall in love with Hardin, she finds out that Noah has never made her feel so passionate.
- The Reveal: Hardin has started to seduce Tessa in order to win a dare, and despite having sincerely fallen in love with her, he keeps the bloodied sheet and his own semen-filled condom as proof.
- Virgin-Shaming: Against Tessa during a game of Truth or Dare.
- Wild Teen Party: Happens every weekend. To the point where Tessa wonders how they students haven't gotten sick from it.