Once upon a time in Japan, a junior-high school boy named Keita Kusakabe received a box from his childhood friend, Natsuki Morishima, who claims that the box is magical and can grant the user 3 wishes. The box itself contains a beautiful girl with pink hair named Maki, who tricks Keita at first by saying that she is a genie who can grant 3 wishes. However, as it turns out, Maki is actually a powerful devil and will take Keita's soul after he gets his 3 wishes granted.
However, despite being a powerful demon, Maki is an inexperienced one and doesn't know how to be evil because she is a demon princess who was sheltered in a castle in her childhood years. As a result, she relies herself on a book that her mother, the Queen of Hell, created to become a better devil in the future. However, as she stays too long with Keita, both of them are falling in love with each other and things get interesting from there.
Written by an obscure mangaka, Makoto Matsumoto, and illustrated by Maika Netsu. The manga itself was licensed by Broccoli Books and it was serialized by Comic Rush at 2007. Despite the manga having apparently ended and already reached 9 volumes and 40 chapters as of now. The series ended in 2014 and is currently discontinued because Comic Rush is no longer publishing.
Hakoiri Devil Princess grants these following tropes:
- Another Dimension: In Chapter 32 onwards, Keita starts his journey to the Demon World in order to save Maki from the forced arranged marriage. The demon world is utterly different than the human world, as it is pretty cold there and is a bit of a barren wasteland.
- Arranged Marriage: The Demon Queen arranges the marriage between Maki and the demon prince, Reiga. Neither Keita nor Maki takes it well.
- Butt-Monkey: Noroi is actually this because of the unlucky streak that he had in both his childhood years and his present. It gets to the point that his shrine got destroyed by some familiars who fight against each other and he wanted to put a curse on them despite not knowing their names.
- Childhood Friends: Keita is childhood friends with Natsuki and a shrine boy called Noroi. They established their friendship 10 years ago.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: The student vice-president, Haru, becomes jealous after she saw the student president, Hayami, become involved with another girl like Maki and thought that he fell in love with the latter and she got replaced by Maki as the cutest girl in the school.
- Dark Is Not Evil:
- Maki is a prime example. She might be a powerful devil. However, due to her inexperience in being a devil because of her being sheltered, she doesn't know how to become evil and as a result, she ends up becoming oblivious to the outside world. As the series progresses, she ends up being a kind devil thanks to Keita's intervention.
- Even then, not all devils are actually bad people. The Queen of the Demons, despite being strict, wants the best for her dominion in hell and Maki herself. Near the end of the series, there is even a devil who tries to help Keita to save Maki after Keita saves her from being a sacrifice.
- Deal with the Devil: The main premise of the manga. If you make a deal with the devil and he/she grants you three wishes, your soul will be taken by them.
- Declaration of Protection: One of Keita's wishes is that he wants to protect Maki from harm and doesn't want to see her cry, no matter what it takes.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Sort of, the student president Hayami really likes Keita because he reminds him of his dead dog with the same name he had when he was young and thinks that Keita is a reincarnation of his dog.
- Fairy Companion: Sort of. Maki's familiars themselves are actually low-tier devils...However, they are the sealed forms of Maki's powers and try to accompany Maki to help her accomplish her mission.
- Happily Married: At the end of the manga, it is revealed that Maki and Keita are happily married and live a peaceful life together forever.
- Human Mom Non Human Dad: Inverted. Keita's mother is actually an angel, while his father is a regular human.
- Ms. Fanservice: Well, Maki is a devil after all who wears mostly stripperific clothes and has kinky scenes based on her. Don't forget she also has bigger boobs compared to the other devils. The other demon, Miki, could also qualify, given her choice of clothes that could end up being an Eye Candy to some people.
- The Reveal: In chapter 18...It is revealed that Natsuki, Keita's childhood friend, is actually Archangel Alpha in disguise. After Keita fails to escape the barrier and Alpha finds out that he can move even though the barrier is supposed to freeze humans, Keita is revealed to be a half-angel from his human Dad and angel mother.
- Yandere: Haru is this, combined with Clingy Jealous Girl. She will do whatever it takes, even taking it to extremes, such as torturing Maki with a holy water to get her crush, Hayami, back on her side.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Well, this is what happens when you get your three wishes granted by a devil. However, with an interesting twist. After the devil gets the human's soul, they end up becoming an energy to fuel hell.