Young Adult is a short Web Original Parody Fic with elements borrowed from many different series. It reads pretty much like a fanfic, without ever referencing any specific setting, character or plot point of any of these books.
The first chapter was published on February 7th, 2017 by a user under the name of XxIceShinexX on fanfiction.net.
Due to the extremely short length of the fic, it is highly advised reading it first before resuming reading this page.
Young Adult contains examples of:
- Anyone Can Die: Rather unceremoniously, at that.
- Downer Beginning / Downer Ending
- Parody Fic
- Take That!: Can be read as a lighthearted jab at common tropes of young adult novels. Examples:
- Afterglow: A Plain Jane, selfless main hero and a world segregated into different groups.
- The Flameburst Chronicles: A brooding male lead in a post-apocalyptic world destroyed by mysterious means, with secret survivor colonies.
- Ambiguous Situation: In the end, It's not revealed if the masked thug is Professor Whiskrad or not.
- Anyone Can Die: Natascha herself. It comes as a refreshing surprise, to say the least.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick / The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: The five Bases within Periwinkle High are divided by personality: Friendly, Cool, Honest, Smart and... Shady. note
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Natascha "simply decided" to move out of her mother's home without any particular reason.Natascha: Mom said it was okay for me to stay in Miami with her and my stepfather, but deep down I knew I needed to give her some privacy and she knows it, too.
- Downer Beginning /Ending: The masked robber shoots the main character, who dies on the spot. On the first chapter.
- Red Herring: Professor Whiskrad is said to wear masks and do secret tests of character. Periwinkle High is separated into five different houses, based on a personality quiz. When a masked thug appears during Natascha's doing the quiz, he simply pulls out a gun and kills her. In fact, mostly everything in this fic is one, considering the ending.
- Secret Test of Character: Professor Whiskrad is apparently fond of these.
- Self-Deprecation: Natascha actually describes herself as "incredibly plain-looking". It's the second sentence in the fic!
- Take That!: Can be read as a lighthearted jab at common tropes of young adult novels, such as a Plain Jane, selfless hero and a world segregated into different groups.
- The Faceless: The thug's face is never revealed. He might or might not actually be Professor Whiskrad.
- After the End: Society apparently crumbled after the Flameburst of '87.
- Anyone Can Die: Shade. Unexpectedly, and right when he was about to find another human.
- Artistic License Biology: The 'martian-enzyme-turned-medicine-turned-disease' is apparently a lifeform and an enzyme at the same time.
- Byronic Hero: Shade has, well, shades of this.
- Evil, Inc.: Badde Corporation.
- Info Dump: Half the story is Shade thinking about how his world turned out like this.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Sentient Alien Disease Parasitited Zombie
- Not Using the "Z" Word: Screechers are actually described as 'thinly veiled zombies'.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Most people call the protagonist by his codename, Shade. We actually don't know who these other people might be or what his codename is for.
- The Last Man Heard a Knock: But of course.
- Starfish Aliens: The sentient, parasitic martian enzyme.
- The Plague: The Flameburst is set up to be this, but the disease is sentient, and alien.
- Wangst: Shade seems to be designed from the ground up to be the edgiest, most brooding action character available. He even has has a 'favorite moping rock' [sic].Shade: I slowly brushed my hand against my moping rock, accidentally cutting myself in the edge.
- Was Once a Man: The Screechers.