Timothy James Maxwell is your average nerd living an average life. He gets mocked by the Alpha Bitch Jessica at school, is really into Scrabble, and best friends with his sister, Sarah. So, yeah, not exactly the most exciting guy around.
That is, until one day, against the wishes of his babysitter, Timothy leaves the front door open one night. What happens next is not something ANYONE would expect. A strange man enters his home and actually starts collecting the light. Some time later, Jessica actually approaches him, claiming to have some note relating to him. Some digging later, Timothy, Sarah, and Jessica soon find themselves drawn into a top secret magical world that's the source of all the world's mythology, and is currently fighting an age-old battle between good and evil.
The series was published on May 12, 2015. There's currently two books.
Book 1: Beyond The Door
Book 2: The Telling Stone
Time Out Of Time contains examples of:
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Timothy is officially made the new keeper of the market in "The Telling Stone". However, since he still has school back home, he leaves Peter as interim keeper, while still popping in from time to time.
- Action Girl: Sarah, Jessica, and Cerridwyn.
- Alpha Bitch: Jessica is this in school towards Timothy. In real life, she's actually really nice.
- Bazaar of the Bizarre: The Traveler's Market, where items both magical and not can be bought. Timothy, Sarah, and Jessica go there in the first book to find a cure for Timothy's mother's rat fever infection.
- Big Bad: Balor The One-Eyed. He wants nothing more than for the darkness to rule the Traveler's Market and make all mythology conform to the dark's wishes.
- Bystander Syndrome: Invoked on Electra. She can only observe events as they happen, but must never interfere. If she does, she must return to her constellation and stay there permanently. She ultimately trips up Mr. McMorn to save Timothy.
- Canis Major: Gwydon is a massive wolf with the ability to fly.
- The Chosen One: Timothy is the next Filidh, which is a person who is a keeper of legends and knows all mythology and tales in the world.
- Cyclops: Balor IS called The One-Eyed.
- Glamour: Balor uses this to disguise himself. He prefers a handsome, bronze-skinned man with wavy gold hair.
- Immediate Sequel: "The Telling Stone" starts right after "Beyond The Door" ends.
- Intangible Theft: When the Greenman comes into Timothy's house at the beginning of "Beyond The Door", he takes the light (the actual light, not the light bulbs) in Timothy's house.
- Involuntary Transformation: Balor often turns people into animals that he keeps locked in cages.
- The Medic: Jessica is discovered to be this in "The Telling Stone". She heals wounds by touching them, but expends some of her own energy to do so.
- The Napoleon: Tristan is very short in stature, and struts around the Travelers' Market like he owns it.
- Plant Person: The Greenman.
- Puppet King: Tristan acts as this for Balor (who Glamours himself into his "Animal Tamer" disguise) in the Travelers' Market, since the new Filidh still hadn't been announced.
- Rat Men: Nom is very rat-like in appearance (in fact, he'd been transformed into a rat by Balor sometime before Timothy freed him). He also knows a lot about how rats think.
- Secret Legacy: The role of the Filidh is passed down through the O'Daly family. O'Daly is Timothy's mom's maiden name.
- Snakes Are Sinister: Balor rides on a giant snake in the battle at the Travelers' Market. He brings it back to try and kill Timothy at Dunsinane.
- When Trees Attack: During the battle against Balor and his forces in the Travelers' Market, the trees rise up from their resting places to aid the marketeers.
- You Dirty Rat!: A rat is sent to Timothy's house in "Beyond The Door". Nom manages to catch it, but Timothy's mom is given rat fever from a bite.