Flawed Dogs: The Novel: The Shocking Raid on Westminster, Flawed Dogs for short, is a children's novel and the first illustrated novel by Bloom County author Berkeley Breathed. It was published on September 17, 2009.
The novel stars a dachshund named Sam the Lion, who was specifically bred to be a show dog. He is adopted by a girl named Heidy, who is going to live with her uncle Hamish. Hamish owns a poodle named Cassius, who was also bred for dog shows. Cassius is enraged with jealousy over Sam, and plots to ruin his life. To this end, he frames Sam for various crimes, tricking his owners into thinking he's a mad dog, and casting him out. This marks the beginning of Sam's adventure, which eventually leads to him ending up in a dog pound, where he meets other dogs cast out by society for their abnormalities. Sam teams up with them in a revenge plan against Cassius and all the other show dogs.
Flawed Dogs contains examples of:
- Animated Adaptation: The upcoming movie adaptation will be fully animated, most likely CGI.
- A Cat in a Gang of Dogs: One of the characters is a cat in dog disguise.
- Bear Trap: Sam loses his leg after stepping on one.
- Big Bad: Cassius is single-handedly responsible for getting Sam disowned and kicked out of the house, starting the conflict.
- Green-Eyed Monster: It's Cassius' jealousy of Sam that drives him to ruin Sam's life.
- Psycho Poodle: The Big Bad is Cassius, a poodle. When his owners adopt the protagonist, a dachshund named Sam, Cassius is enraged, and his jealousy drives him to frame Sam for brutal crimes and ruin his life.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Sam befriends and teams up with the dogs at the pound, all of which have some sort of deformity. One of them, Madam, is actually a cat disguised as a dog!