Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! is a 2004 American romantic comedy film directed by Robert Luketic, written by Victor Levin, and starring Kate Bosworth, Topher Grace, Josh Duhamel, Gary Cole, Ginnifer Goodwin, Sean Hayes, and Nathan Lane.
Rosalee Futch (Bosworth) works in a grocery store in West Virginia, and dreams of someday meeting her movie idol, Tad Hamilton (Duhamel). The occasion comes when she wins a contest whose big prize is a date with Tad, to the chagrin of her friend and co-worker Pete Monash (Grace), who is secretly in love with Rosalee. The contest is in reality a trick designed behind Tad's back to clean up his image, which has been damaged by his hedonistic lifestyle, but the idea ends up backfiring, and the dream come true of Rosalee becomes a nightmare for Tad's PR people and, above all, for Pete.
This film features examples of:
- Betty and Veronica: Long-time friend Pete is the Betty and superstar heartthrob Tad is the Veronica to Rosalee's Archie.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: When Pete concedes defeat to Tad in winning Rosalee's heartPete: So Tad, if there is even a chance that you could break her heart, please, just for her sake, walk away man.
Tad: I could never break Rosalee's heart, OK?
Pete: Good. Because if you do I swear to God I will tear you to pieces with my bare hands. Or vicious rhetoric.
- Excited Show Title!: It's Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!, with an exclamation point. Apparently Tad Hamilton is just that exciting.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: Pete gives the standard respose to Tad, though he seems to lampshade how the physical threat is usually never delivered when he states that he might just use "vicious rhetoric."
- Romantic False Lead: Tad Hamilton, as Rosalee inevitably does choose Pete over him.