Four friends travel to a lakeside cabin for a carefree weekend, the fun turns into a nightmare when 3 of them end up locked in a hot sauna. Every minute counts and every degree matters as they fight for their lives in the heat up to 247°F.
This movie contains examples of:
- Artistic License Physics:
- Ian mentions that due to them breaking open the window, the thermostat will register lower temperatures than it should, thus keeping the heater on for longer. In reality, as the thermostat is placed so high up in the room, it wouldn't make much difference.
- Death by Sex: Averted - Renee and Michael are featured in the mandatory sex scene, but both survive the movie.
- Doing It Wrong: You don't go to sauna in your underwear, swimsuit is more reasonable and nude is the norm.
- Failsafe Failure:
- Most sauna doors are made of glass and feature wide gaps around the edges in order to avoid getting stuck in the frame and allow for fresh air to circulate in. At least the door opens outwards, this is so a fainted person on the inside couldn't block the door for potential rescuers.
- Most sauna heaters have at least some sort of an override on the heater itself if it's automatically operated, not manually fuelled in which case the fuel will run out at some point.
- The heater should not default to maximum heat if the input from the thermostat is cut off.
- Idiot Ball:
- Ian, as a physicist, should understand the concept of hot air rising up. Lying down on the floor of a sauna keeps you relatively cool, no matter how hot it is, especially with a stone floor.
- Ian, thinking that tackling a sauna heater is a good idea. At 250°F (120°C), the floor would still be cool enough to wait for a rescue.
- Out of the Frying Pan: Out of the Sauna of Death and into a gas chamber.
- Red Herring: Uncle Wade is shown going out at night with a shovel, before revealing he's setting up fireworks for the party.
- Sauna of Death: The premise of the whole film.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Michael kicks off the whole plot by absentmindedly knocking stairs across the door while high.