The Quiet Ones is a 2014 Hammer Horror movie. It consists of a cameraman, Brian (Sam Claflin) who starts working for a Professor James Coupland (Jared Harris). Coupland is working with a couple of students to cure a girl named Jane Harper (Olivia Cooke) who may be possessed or having some supernatural powers or just mentally ill.
The film contains examples of:
- Based on a Great Big Lie: The poster◊ says that it's "inspired by actual events", but it's rather obvious that it's not after you've seen it. One website even breaks it down, their findings showing that the movie, while inspired by the Phillip Experiment, couldn't be any more different.
- Downer Ending
- Final Girl: Gender flipped with Brian. But even he is insane and pyrokinetic by the end.
- Jump Scare: Quite a few, though quite a few of them are fake-outs, such as Brian's camera falling over or Harry suddenly slamming his face and growling into his window to scare him.
- Large Ham: Jared Harris enjoys going hammy especially towards the end.
- Mad Doctor: Coupland is thought to be this but may or may not be. Is revealed to be this at the end.
- My Greatest Failure: David Q for Coupland who turns out to be his son. Also, Jane/Evey by the end.
- Passing the Torch: A literal example by Jane to Brian.
- Playing with Fire: Jane can cause fires from her mind. Even Brian can by the end.
- Sensory Abuse: Ironically, one of the main complaints about the movie is that it can be ear-splittingly loud at times.
- Title Drop: One of the students does it when Brian visits the library to do some research:"Have the Quiet Ones indoctrinated you as yet?"
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Evey who is Jane as well.