The Possession of Michael King is a 2014 American Found Footage horror film written and directed by David Jung. Michael King is a recent widower and atheist who is dealing with his wife's recent death by trying to disprove the supernatural by inviting demons to possess him. Unsurprisingly, this goes badly. Soon, he realizes he's in over his head, hearing voices among the constant static in his head, the only question remaining isn't whether demonic forces exist, but how he can get them out of him.
The Possession of Michael King contains examples of:
- Apocalyptic Log: While the producers made no bones about it being fictional, the ostensible setting is that these are the films that Michael made, first to disprove the supernatural, then to warn others that it is real.
- Bad Black Barf: Near the end, the demons make Michael do this to rid himself of all of the pills he tried to swallow to commit suicide.
- Deal with the Devil: Father Gibbons claims to have made one in his childhood, asking the Devil to free him from his father's abuse. His father keeled over from a heart attack and Father Gibbons started hearing voices telling what he needed to do.
- Demonic Possession: Michael inviting this upon himself is the foundation of the movie.
- Destination Defenestration: When Michael briefly regains hold of himself near the end of the movie, he does this to avoid hurting his daughter, Ellie.
- Hollywood Satanism: Partway through the film, Michael visits a set of proclaimed satanists who check off all of the boxes from the all-black clothing to the sex rituals to the stereotypical costumes. Near the end, when Michael goes to them to have the demon cast out, they claim it's all just a scam, that they indeed took all of their trappings from movie portrayals.
- Neck Lift: Done by Michael to his sister Beth near the end.
- Neck Snap: Quickly follows the Neck Lift.
- Necromancer: Michael meets up with one, who has a day job as a funeral director, and arranges for an experience. Among other things, he has his first experience of being contacted by his dead wife.
- Ominous Visual Glitch: Common in the shots. Unusually for the genre, the characters comment on some of them and don't immediately discount them as being glitches.