Hellbinders is a 2009 live action film. The film takes place in the modern day City of Angels and follows three people as they uncover a plot by Legion to bring one of the kingdoms of Hell to Earth. These three people are the soulless mercenary Max (Ray Park), the Ninja Warrior Priest Ryu (Johnny Yong Bosch), and the last Knight Templar Cain (Esteban Cueto) who can't die of age and is Made of Iron.
Not to be confused with Hellbenders.
Hellbinders provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Johnny Yong Bosch dresses in a black cloak and fights supernatural threats with a sword.
- Big Bad: Samael, the head demon of Legion, who seeks to unleash Hell on Earth.
- Bottomless Magazines: Max will never run out of bullets unless it would really inconvenience him.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: People who are possessed.
- Cool Sword: Ryu's sword. Both the one he uses in the movie and the one he holds on the cover.
- Cool vs. Awesome: Ninja Priest, Soulless mercenary and immortal Knight Templar hunt down demons.
- The End... Or Is It?: The demons are cast back to Hell, and Max gets his soul back, but as our heroes leave the ceremony room some candles light up on their own.
- Made of Iron: Cain. He takes a shotgun to the stomach at pointblank and walks it off. People possessed by a lot of demons are also this.
- Name of Cain: Not the biblical one, but he's still been around a long time.
- Our Demons Are Different: These are beings who don't belong in the realm of the living, and have to possess something that does to enter. They resemble balls of light when not possessing somebody, and hop bodies as soon as their host is killed.
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: Random possessed people are gunned down in swarms, but when it's someone a hero knows they go out of their way for a nonlethal takedown.
- The Sociopath: Samael, a demon who thinks nothing of slaughtering millions so his kind can prosper.