Paul and Jessie lose their only son, Adam, at his 8th birthday. After the burial, Dr. Richard Wells insists to talk to them and proposes them to clone the child. After some doubts, they accept. Everything seems to go for the best until the new Adam turns 8 years old as well, then he starts to have nightmares, hallucinations and to behave creepily.
This film provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: The death of the first Adam. The second Adam becoming more and more unstable and creepy.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: It is debatable if Zachary was deeply evil all along and the bullying was only what activated his dark side or if he was a normal child and the bullying made him completely evil.
- The Bully: Zachary's schoolmates. And the child the second Adam kills
- Creepy Child: The second Adam, when the film approaches the climax. And of course Zachary.
- Deadly Bath: While not exactly deadly, Zachary bathing is the moment when his nanny tries to kill him. And a bath is the first time the second Adam hallucinates seeing Zachary
- The Dog Bites Back: How Zachary's nanny describes Zachary's Start of Darkness: he was bullied over and over by his schoolmates and eventually he snapped and bit them back.
- The End... Or Is It?: At the end Adam and his parents move in a new house and it's stated that some doctors are taking care of his personality disorders. Then a zombie arm comes from the closet and pulls Adam inside: the implication seems to be that Zachary's personality has again taken control, imprisoning Adam's. And in the meantime Dr. Wells is alive and well and is planning to steal another dead doctor's identity, likely to give the cloning process another try.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Eventually, all Dr. Wells asks for is to have (some glimpes of) his Zachary back.
- Mad Scientist: Mixing (someway) your own son's DNA with another one to bring back (something of) him.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Zachary's solution to all the injustices of life, being them real or perceived.
- Not So Different: Paul and Dr. Wells, according to Dr. Wells himself.
- Pyromaniac: Zachary's preferred way to end his errands.
- Title Drop: Godsend is the name of the medical institute where Dr. Wells works.