Get Hard is a 2015 American buddy comedy film directed by Etan Cohen (in his directorial debut) and written by Cohen, Jay Martel and Ian Roberts.
James King (played by Will Ferrell), a wealthy hedge fund manager, is engaged to Alissa (Alison Brie), and lives life as a rich millionaire. But he finds his whole life on the verge of collapse when he is accused of embezzling his company's funds. With only 30 days to get his affairs in order before he serves his ten year sentence, he turns to Darnell Lewis (Kevin Hart) to teach him how to be tough enough to survive prison; he needs to get hard. Hilarity Ensues
This movie provides examples of:
- Amoral Attorney: Martin's lawyer is in on the scheme to frame James.
- Amusing Injuries: James getting a shiv stuck in his head during the practice riot scene is playing for laughs.
- Ass Shove: "Keistering", as a means of hiding contraband.
- Asshole Victim: Barrow,and Gayle who get arrested in the end, and taken to the same prison as James. James gets along in prison. While the two are probably...
- Big Bad: Martin, James' boss, turns out to be the real criminal.
- Big Damn Heroes: Darnell saving James from the white supremacists.
- Big Fancy House: James already lives in one but his wife wants one that's even bigger.
- Calling Your Attacks: James during the yacht fight.
- Chekhov's Gun: Caoeperia, and Jame's ankle bracelet both come in handy during the final showdown.
- In his first scene, Martin mentions his original computer, which he still has. Later on, it turns out that it holds the evidence exonerating James.
- Chekhov's Skill: Keistering.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Despite having his butt handed to him by the thugs at the school playground, James has no problem beating down nearly 12 men in the climax.
- Double Standard: Rape, Male on Male: The likelihood of James getting raped in prison is treated as a punchline in the film.
- Gold Digger: Alissa.
- Hypocritical Humor: James chides Darnell on asking for a loan of $30,000 from him but compliments Martin on "doing it on his own" when Martin's father gave him an 8 million dollar loan to start his company.
- Innocently Insensitive: James doesn't seem to realize just how casually racist he is.
- Ms. Fanservice: Alison Brie in lingerie◊ accounts for most of her screen time.
- Noble Bigot: James, although it seems to be based more on class than race.
- N-Word Privileges: Darnell insists that James say the n-word, then when James refuses, gets him to say "knee" and "grrr" quickly. He still hits him in the face claiming it was an automatic reaction.
- Scary Black Man: Subverted with Darnell, despite how much he tries to pretend otherwise.
- His cousin Russel and his gang, however, are closer to playing this straight, though they're pretty friendly with James.
- Shout-Out: Darnell uses the plot of Boyz n the Hood when he has to make up a criminal backstory for himself.
- Wrongful Accusation Insurance: Subverted: while James eventually exonerates himself, he is arrested and imprisoned for pulling an unlicensed concealed weapon in the course of exposing the people who set him up. Considering that he also commits trespassing and arguably kidnapping, though, his six-month sentence is rather light.