- "Evil is about to go viral."
Bedeviled is a 2016 American Sci-Fi Horror film.
Nikki has just died, and all her friends are mourning her. However, soon after her death, they get an invite from her phone to download an app. This app, called "Mr. Bedevil" is seemingly perfect. Not only does it manage their phone impeccably, but it can even manage the electronics in their home! However, Mr. Bedevil is secretly a supernatural being, whose end goal is to make their fears come to life...
This film contains examples of:
- Ancient Evil: Bedevil has been around since at least the dawn of man.
- Big Bad; Mr. Bedevil, the evil spirit haunting the app.
- Companion Cube: The Mr. Bedevil app's stated purpose is to "provide companionship to [its] users."
- The End... Or Is It?: Bedevil is deleted from the sole survivor's app, but the last scene shows that her mother downloaded it.
- Evil Luddite: Bedevil's motivation is that he despises how complacent humanity has gotten with the advent of technology, and believes man has forgotten how to fear.
- Fright Deathtrap: Bedevil kills his victims via frightening them to death.
- Haunted Technology: In this universe, digital signals can cross dimensions, and connect our world and Bedevil's, much like a Ouija Board.
- I Know What You Fear: Mr. Bedevil's M.O. is to psychologically torment anybody who downloads his app with their worst fears.
- Karma Houdini: Mr. Bedevil, as a powerful demon, can't really be defeated or punished, only driven away.
- Monster Clown: Bedevil's true form resembles a really tall clown in a suit, with claws for hands. He particularly capitalizes on this fact when he's tormenting a coulrophobe.
- One-Word Title
- Our Demons Are Different: These are humanoid creatures from Another Dimension that can interact with ours via digital signals. They can also create constructs from thin air.
- Screamer Prank: Two of the main characters trick one other into watching a screamer that's supposed to be hypnotic but suddenly depicts a Monster Clown.
- Shout-Out: Bedevil begins his torment of a victim with coulrophobia via manifesting a red balloon.
- The Sociopath: Mr. Bedevil, a demon who's tormented man since the beginning of time and made an app to attack people with because he believes technology has made them grow complacent.
- Villain Opening Scene: Bedevil killing Nikki after weeks of torment.