The fanfic revolves around Lillie's relationship with her mother Lusamine. In this story, Lillie doesn't try to mend her relationship with her mother like she does in canon. She rejects and disowns Lusamine for rejecting and disowning her in the past.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Lusamine was emotionally abusive and neglectful in the past. Other people try to push the blame on grief or neurotoxins, saying it wasn't Lusamine's fault, but Lillie disagrees.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Lusamine isn't Easily Forgiven by her daughter.
- Dark Fic: Its psychological tone is darker than the norm for the franchise.
- Disabled in the Adaptation: Lillie is explicitly confirmed to have Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder caused by Lusamine's abuse.
- Like Father, Unlike Son: Invoked with Lillie, who is unwilling to become bitter like her mother.
- Stealth Insult: While her mother is comatose in the hospital, Lillie brings her cyclamen flowers (a flower that symbolizes goodbyes). To those who don't know flower language it just looks like a sweet gift.
- Thicker Than Water:
- Subverted and discussed repeatedly. Lillie is unable to forgive her mother for her prior emotional abuse. Others find this wrong of Lillie since they're family, but Lillie keeps her stance.
- Gladion has this viewpoint. He wants to help his mother.